WD color coding

FrigidNinja
Go to solution Solved by dmanschramm,

can i get a basic synopsis of the western digital color code?

ive seen videos on it however none touched on all of them.

Red

Green

Blue

Black

Purple

So Red drives are build for NAS, so constantly on. They are also used for RAID configs as well

Green Drives are supposed to be efficient and 'green' - lower rpm - 5400

Blue is the normal drive. I think it only comes in 1TB

Black is the 'performance drive' that spins at 7200rpm like the blue, but has better read/write times and comes in up to 4TB

Purple drives are for surveillance footage, that are constantly being written to. 

If you want a drive, I personally would opt for either Red or Black. Blue is great if you want only 1TB, but if you want more, Red is the 'reliable' solution, but Black is better for storing games and such so you can access them faster.

Hope this helps a bit :D

Red

Green

Blue

Black

Purple

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

"red is for always on storage (NAS), purple is for surveillance recording." - TomsHardware

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350

Red is for Raid/ NAS

Green is less performance; Moar Efficency

Blue is general use drive

Black is Faster than Blue drive

Purple is for security crap

And Velociraptor is a 10000 RPM drive, fast as hell. Pretty sure discontinued

@FrigidNinja

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Red

Green

Blue

Black

Purple

So Red drives are build for NAS, so constantly on. They are also used for RAID configs as well

Green Drives are supposed to be efficient and 'green' - lower rpm - 5400

Blue is the normal drive. I think it only comes in 1TB

Black is the 'performance drive' that spins at 7200rpm like the blue, but has better read/write times and comes in up to 4TB

Purple drives are for surveillance footage, that are constantly being written to. 

If you want a drive, I personally would opt for either Red or Black. Blue is great if you want only 1TB, but if you want more, Red is the 'reliable' solution, but Black is better for storing games and such so you can access them faster.

Hope this helps a bit :D

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Red

Green

Blue

Black

Purple

Hey FrigidNinja,

I have described more extensively each type of drive in this topic: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/291871-wd-question-thread-hard-drives-dual-drive-setups-storage-setup-optimization/. The guys gave you a pretty good idea of what each color stands for, but if you need more info - feel free to ask. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/