New Build for my Friend

I am working on a new build for my friend and there are a few things I a considering. Also, this will be for gaming and is my second build.

The Specs:

i5-3570K (Stock cooling)

MSI Z77 G-43 Board

Kingston Hyper X 2x4 Gb 1600 MHz

PNY GTX 670 (It was on sale)

WD 1 TB Black HDD

Corsair TX 650 Watt (A little much but on sale)

Fractal Design Define R4

So the R4 comes with a fan in the back and one in the front going over the Hard Drive cages. I plan on getting another for the front for more airflow. I will probably just get the same kind that came with the case, Fractal Define R2 fans. Also, the top five hard drive bays are removable and can be turned sideways for more airflow. I don't really want to remove them because you can see cables behind where they would be and I can't move them anywhere else. Also, I have the PSU fan facing the bottom of the case where there is an air filter, the case will be put on a wood floor so I think it should get enough air. I would like to know if people think I should turn the five hard drive bays sideways to direct air flow or if it will actually make that much of a difference, because I prefer the look of them facing forward. The hard drive is in the bottom bay. I will post a picture of the rig when I can. Please give any advice you think might help. Thanks!

Well if you're only going to have 1 hdd you might as well just take out the removable cage and install the hdd on the lower cage. That would have the most air flow but if not just turn it sideways.

That case should allow you to easily hide the cables if you do proper cable management.

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard

Are you planing to overclock? If not, you could go for the 3570 (not the K version) and a H77 board to save a bit of money to put toward something else in your system. As pointed out, even an Intel 330 60GB SSD as a boot drive which is around about $60 will make a good performance increase on both boot and shutdown as well as opening programs like Adobes creative suite.

Well if you're only going to have 1 hdd you might as well just take out the removable cage and install the hdd on the lower cage. That would have the most air flow but if not just turn it sideways.

That case should allow you to easily hide the cables if you do proper cable management.

Since the Corsair PSU is not modular I have a lot of extra thick cables in the back for molex and SATA that I don't need. It is ok for now but the cables might move because I don't have enough electrical ties.

Are you planing to overclock? If not, you could go for the 3570 (not the K version) and a H77 board to save a bit of money to put toward something else in your system. As pointed out, even an Intel 330 60GB SSD as a boot drive which is around about $60 will make a good performance increase on both boot and shutdown as well as opening programs like Adobes creative suite.
No overclocking yet, he is new to computer stuff. But I already have the parts, and he will probably be doing more overclocking in the future when he can get a better cooler. At the very least he will use MSI's OC Genie II. The main reason I don't have an SSD for it is because the way you have to decide where things go, to the HDD or the SSD. Also, at the moment our budget is exactly zero dollars extra to spend.

SSD bro :-P

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

That R4 is a dream to build in...

Add me to the SSD recommendation list... like night & day.

I get the point, SSDs are fast. I already know that. But trust me, his budget can't afford it and he won't be able to use it to its full potential. He will still think it is a great upgrade from an old broken netbook with Vista. And he can always get an SSD later. However, I was thinking about getting a very small caching SSD if we can find the money. Does anyone know much of a difference that would make? For something like a 30 or 60GB caching SSD so it is more passive.