Mixed Metals concern

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

what in the loop is aluminum? most if all of the h20 mannies use no aluminum.

the H100 and alike use aluminum radiators and copper cold plates, but use an

inhibitor (Ethyl Glycol) to prevent galvanic corrosion.

the silver (kill coil or silver bio barb/fittings) should not be used with nickel.

use of nickel with brass/copper is totally fine.. its the aluminum that has problems.

Additionally, do not use aluminum with bare (unplated) copper or bare (unplated) brass in the same system. Do not use silver with nickel in the same system.

airdeano

I was looking at some waterblocks for the 780 I plan to buy in a month or two and I came across this Koolance one and in the description it mentions that you should NOT use the nickel plated water block in combination with unplated copper or unplated brass. I checked out other blocks and none of the other ones give this warning and I had never heard of any issues with it. Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the following:

• What specifically are the dangers of mixing copper with nickel in a loop?
  • How much of a concern is this really?
  • And finally if it is a big deal, is it worthwhile to change out all my copper components(essentially switch to a plated or aluminum system) or just get a different none plated waterblock?

Thanks for any info you can provide. For reference I do use VS.C Feser coolant which is suppose to help a bit with the corrosion. I do have aluminum and unplated copper in my system now which I believe has corrosion issues but have yet to experience anything noticeable yet (not that I am cracking open my rad or waterblock).

the silver (kill coil or silver bio barb/fittings) should not be used with nickel.

use of nickel with brass/copper is totally fine.. its the aluminum that has problems.

Additionally, do not use aluminum with bare (unplated) copper or bare (unplated) brass in the same system. Do not use silver with nickel in the same system.

airdeano

This isn't true, it can be mixed without issues.

not according to a well-known water block manufacturer.

my RMA was rejected because of using a kill coil using 3 of their GPU water blocks.

the plating lifted and RMA was denied, out many dollars in product, shipping and

other services.

airdeano

my RMA was rejected because of using a kill coil using 3 of their GPU water blocks.

the plating lifted and RMA was denied, out many dollars in product, shipping and

other services.

airdeano

Damn that sucks. It really seems like there's zero warranty with anything involving WC. Seems illegal the way companies treat people who do WC.

it is a lot of fine print BS. so i choose not to use EL plating in any of my rigs. copper

or stainless is fine.. 

i would not from that experience expect any manufacturer to backup any product

that is "custom" from a stock appearance. if it fails, find something else's to replace

it and move on, spending extra time, services and money over it is menial, re-spend 

and live for another day.. but, don't expect me to recommend any of their products.

because i do not.

airdeano

As you probably know that's just there for EK to use as a way of not replacing people's products when they fail. Using any coolant that isn't branded as theirs also voids the warranty. A bit of a joke imo but there's nothing you can really do apart from change manufacturer.

airdeano

My Koolance CPU-360 is nickel plated according to their website. Does that mean I shouldn't add a kill coil into the system?

My Koolance CPU-360 is nickel plated according to their website. Does that mean I shouldn't add a kill coil into the system?

You should be using something to kill bacteria regardless of metals.

other services.

airdeano

That was mostly EK covering their asses for their bad nickel plating they used to do

http://www.realredraider.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=174042