7870 vs 660

Tom_Donaldson

Hi, just finished building my APU system and was wondering what GPUZ would be a better option.

Also, my MSI motherboard dose not support SLI, just Corssfire, thanks :)

the xfx 7870 will be better for ocing and will run faster and cooler i would go with the 7870

I love gaming,pc building,talking tech.

Not much difference between the two. Get the best deal you can find on either.

Or just wait, if you can. New generation of Nvidia cards should be right around the corner in +/- 2 months, and they'll be super HD capable and thus probably one of the greatest performance increases between generations ever.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

In terms of pure performance the HD7870 is marginally better, but the GTX660 can be found for £10 cheaper. I'd say it's mainly your choice, with overclocking the HD7870 would probably be worth the extra costs given the better cooling solution, but the GTX660 would offer better value at stock.

I'd take an NVIDIA card because of CUDA and Physix...

Thanks, do you guys know how manny FPS the 660 and 7870 would get in far cry 3 at 1920x1080p thanks :)

The FPS that you can get all depends on the specs of your computer (cpu mostly). Drivers can also make a diffrence, along with the settings you are running,

hmm,im running a AMD A10 APU with 8gb of 1866mhz RAM if that helps hmm

Just got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125418 a few days ago, best cooling around 23c in idle and 50 at full load, you get 256bit memory interface and you can overclock it more, great card!

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

If you were going to get a dedicated GPU all along you should've got a proper CPU tbh sir.

My advice is to get a decent brand with regards to UK rma, i.e ignore XFX.

Some good brands for uk buyers:

gigabyte, kfa2, > msi, evga

Troublesome brands:

generally anything cheap (palit, gainward, zotac, xfx, club3d etc) as they are based out in asia normally. (asus too). if the retailer needs to send it off and doesn't have an agreement with them to ship you a replacement you could be without a replacement for ages.

Fair point..however when i first built the system i did not know that i would have the money to buy a GPU. Thanks for the advice though...i don't think i shall be going with the XFX card, either another 7870 or the 660, thanks everyone :)

The APU you have would severely bottleneck both the graphics cards. If you are getting them, get a proper CPU first.

hmm' date='im running a AMD A10 APU with 8gb of 1866mhz RAM if that helps hmm[/quote']

get the 7870 and hybrid crossfire your system

hmm' date='im running a AMD A10 APU with 8gb of 1866mhz RAM if that helps hmm[/quote']

get the 7870 and hybrid crossfire your system

you can only hybrid crossfire the a10 (assuming 5800K) with a 6670/7670 (same gpu), to the best of my knowledge.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

You should avoid CrossFire with low end cards. Get a CPU (3570k) and then get the Graphics card.

op, what is your power supply? we should make sure your psu is good enough to actually handle a gpu at all

Unfortuanatly it is not possible to crossfire a 5800k with the 7870 graphics...i think i am going to go with the 7870...how much of a bottleneckdo you think this will be?

Ooo, and my PSU is currently a Corsair CX500w but i will be getting the new Corsair CM600m