Space used issue.

Ghost

Well I think this picture just about sums it up.

v70Gx.png

Yes I did CTRL+A in C:// and I can see hidden files.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

are you also able to see operating system files, not just hidden files?

note that these two can never be expected to be equal due to filesystem overheads (inodes, data journalling etc)

do you have system restore enabled? this uses an NTFS feature known as volume shadow copy for file versioning.

This is how much it counts under "Windows" -> 18.9 GB (20,332,928,875 bytes). I assume thats everything.

And yes I do have system restore enabled.

Also I always keep an eye on my Drive C because of the fact it is an SSD. Recently It jumped from 92GB to 110GB without me knowing why.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

you can have a look in the folder C:\System Volume Information (thats the volume shadow copy stuff azeotrope mentioned)

The System Volume Information-Folder is hidden and wont be counted when you are looking at the Properties of all content on C: (unless you edit the NTFS-Rights so you can list the content [since the only user that is allowed to open that folder by default is "System" - and if you dont have the rights to open the folder it will simply show 0 bytes for the folder] )

Regarding the 20 GB increase -> i think windows just created another backup point or you installed some programs and well windows created backuppoints for each install. (see systemvolumeinformation)

Another thing you can do to free space is to move your Users-dir to a harddrive (but thats advanced stuff [you have to boot from the windows install-disk and do some stuff with the commandline and more] so i dont think thats an option for you)

you can have a look in the folder C:\System Volume Information (thats the volume shadow copy stuff azeotrope mentioned) The System Volume Information-Folder is hidden and wont be counted when you are looking at the Properties of all content on C: (unless you edit the NTFS-Rights so you can list the content [since the only user that is allowed to open that folder by default is "System" - and if you dont have the rights to open the folder it will simply show 0 bytes for the folder] ) Regarding the 20 GB increase -> i think windows just created another backup point or you installed some programs and well windows created backuppoints for each install. (see systemvolumeinformation) Another thing you can do to free space is to move your Users-dir to a harddrive (but thats advanced stuff [you have to boot from the windows install-disk and do some stuff with the commandline and more] so i dont think thats an option for you)

I was just interested in what took up the space. I'm not desperately looking for space or anything.

and I cant access the system volume info.

4fjngEUSAB47sAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Load up a Linux live CD and poke around in the $RECYCLE.BIN folder.

you can you have to set the NTFS-Settings (rightclick Properties Safty edit add "everyone" grant full access and press ok)

WinDirStat is good for this. Linus and Slick used a different one on a live stream' date=' but it should work.[/quote']

Now I know what happened.

I was messing around overclock a while ago and my RAM crashed and cause a blue screen. I switched my PC back on to see windows has magically re-set itself. I was logged out of steam, skype and all my other "require a login" programs.

What I just found was that my hyberfil and page file had reset themselves. In total they take up 28GB. :O