Suitable Firewall for a Home Server PC

Hello,

I would like to ask what's a good firewall software for a Home server "Laptop" that runs windows 7 enterprise, plex and Utorrent 24/7 my win 8.1 os got infected by a worm and almost corrupted my 1.5tb Anime drive :P

What the hey....

The built-in Windows firewall should be sufficient. If you really feel like needing one, FYI people rarely buy standalone firewalls these days. Thus most firewall software is either for a dedicated server or integrated into an anti-malware package.

F-Secure provides a free trial of their Internet Security suite, which is in my experience pretty good. Only standalone firewall-focused software suite I can think of is ZoneAlarm. Though even that contains a lot more functionality beyond a basic firewall. Haven't used ZoneAlarm in quite some time though, so I can't say much about it.

>windows 7 enterprise

A pirate, I sea?

Agreed with forum member above - windows firewall should be sufficient - and then anything open to the internet you can close your ports on the router / open them dependent on what you want.

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

Sonic Wall does great at firewalls and or use software based like Windows Firewall. If you have a spare old pc, then go linux or BSB firewalls.

Id agree with going Linux. You could do a PfSense or smoothwall box for really cheap and they are quite effective. They are easy to setup and allow for a lot of customization for your traffic.

pfsense combined with HAVP or something similar would probably work great.

I guess I should ask...

A.) do you have a budget

if not...you can build ur own firewall from a old PC. If you wanna avoid that go with Zonealarm.

Windows 10 Latest Build
RAID 0 Samsung SSD 970 2tb EVO's (4Tb Store)
RTX 3090
9900k DELIDDED with custom copper Rockitcool @ 5ghz 
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile
Phanteks PH-P1200PS 80+ Platinum - Built-in Power Splitter 1200W Fully Modular

Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)
Top Mon #2 ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q | NVIDIA G-Sync 100hz

Bottom Mon #1 Alienware Overclocked Refresh Rate #AW3418DW G-Sync 120hz

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

I guess I should ask...

A.) do you have a budget

if not...you can build ur own firewall from a old PC. If you wanna avoid that go with Zonealarm.

I don't have a budget at the moment, but right now I'm using Tinywall as my temporary firewall.

What the hey....