Looking for a new monitor, want opinions

Darren

So I've been looking at the Dell U2412M. I'm after a monitor I could have portrait, nice IPS panel. I'm not a fanatic about high frame rates so I don't care about any 120Hz monitors. Is spending this much on this monitor worth it or should I go for a cheaper monitor, buy a desk clamp vesa arm and mount it portrait? I probably wont consider anything that costs more than the Dell. A comprehensive list of what I have to choose from is from this http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=393 in NZ$ so don't freak out about how everythings so expensive, this is normal for us :)

Check out the asus pb278q. It`s a high res PLS panel :)

Check out the asus pb278q. It`s a high res PLS panel :)
Nice monitor, but a bit out of my budget. Maybe in the future.

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-ACHIEVA-S...t_12680wt_1044

I own two of these and they are absolutely wonderful. If you factor in shipping and tax on your Dell this might be only $10 more expensive but gives you the exact same panel as the Dell U2711.

Edit: Here is a review:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/Achieva-Shimian-27-Monitor-Review-1440p-IPS-Display-Under-350

Enjoy

The reason everyone is suggesting 27" 1440p monitors is because we decided to fork over the money, and there's no buyer's remorse. Trust me, the extra money is truly worth it. Come to the light!

I've used the U2412HM and sure the 1200p is nice, the quality is great for the price (2412M...not so much, unless you need the colors), but it doesn't stand up to 1440p for a second. I'd recommend scanning over the display forum or even my past posts to get an idea for the community's recommendations.

If you're going for 1080p, then go really, really cheap (under $125; thus saving your money for the future), otherwise just spend $500-600 on 1440p and be very happy.

If you are not willing to fork over for a 27" monitor (or if you're like me and the size is uncomfortable), you could try the Asus PA248Q, great monitor in my opinion.

If you are not willing to fork over for a 27" monitor (or if you're like me and the size is uncomfortable), you could try the Asus PA248Q, great monitor in my opinion.
Have you used a 1440p 27" for extended periods? I thought the exact same thing until I adjusted my viewing distance and brightness settings. The Dell U2711's at my library are annoyingly bright, have the notorious screen-door effect, and look oddly large next to the other 21" monitors. But in a controlled environment (desk at home) 27" makes productivity/gaming/etc. so much better. Eye fatigue has always been my concern with LDC displays (which is why I love my kindle and wish they'd make a bigger one, damnit!) but the larger 27" backlight has been a non-factor for me. it's a good point though for people with poor eyesight, as even 20-30 vision will cause you to either increase eye fatigue due to straining or cause you to move closer to the monitor to read small text, thus increasing the backlight's exposure to your overall field of view.

I was just about to post that before I scrolled down :P

By uncomfortable I mean I simply just don't like looking at a larger screen size (23", MAYBE 24"), nothing to do with eye fatigue or poor eye sight (I have excellent eye sight, hearing on the other hand...), it's just my preference. Guess I should have specified that before to save you the trouble of trying to convince me I'd like it :P.

I'm with you on that, 27" screens for me up close are way too big unless they're in a very specific circumstance involving work..