3.5mm extension cables

SMac124

I have recently gotten a new headset and its cable isn't long enough to reach my computer. My question is: will using a extension cable ruin my audio quality?

Thanks,

Sean

FX6300 - 8GB DDR3 1600 - GTX 1060

Depends on the quality of the cable and the quality of the connector; get decent connectors and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is a common law of audio through a cable. The longer you run it, the lower the quality. However, a 3.5 mm is a balanced cable, so it is less apt to noise and interference. On that note, though, the 3.5 mm still should not be run very long or it will get noise as the wires are close together and will induce noise over runs over several feet. But for your purposes it should be fine.

Yes' date=' it is a common law of audio through a cable. The longer you run it, the lower the quality. However, a 3.5 mm is a balanced cable, so it is less apt to noise and interference. On that note, though, the 3.5 mm still should not be run very long or it will get noise as the wires are close together and will induce noise over runs over several feet. But for your purposes it should be fine.[/quote']

Not really; depends on the internal wiring structure and if the cable is balanced. If it's balanced then you're fine up to 300ft but you can then have issues with line voltage..