How long will an SSD last?

Samskip

Hi guys,

I believe that it's commonly know that SSD don't last really long, or not  nearly as long as a harddrive. 

I have an ocz agillity 3 60gb for almost 2 years now and I don't want it to fail on me.

How long will it last? (or ssd's in general) (if it's possible to estimate that)

On my SSD I have win7 installed and some other small programs.

Should I almost buy a new one or will this one still be good for some time?

(Sorry for my bad english)

Thanks in advance

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

they last a pretty long time if anything a good ssd should out live a hdd

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

SSD's normally come with a 5 year warranty  I would expect at minimum that long on it. Generally the manufacturers put the warranties on with less time than they expect the drive to last (meaning they won't ever have to replace on in theory), thus you should be fine.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

theoretical ssd's should last more like 10-30 years

but everthing could die at anytime...so backup your stuff

Whoa, that was fast!

Thanks guys

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

Whoa, that was fast!

Thanks guys

your icon goes with that comment XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

As previously said, the warranty is a pretty good indicator of the worst case scenario.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

mine is rated at 2m hours + which is 228 years

Character artist in the Games industry.

Well all of us (myself included) expect our SSDs to last a very long time; and we expect to get rid of them before they ever fail. Theoretically that's what is going to happen.

However none of us have 5 or 10 year old SSDs so there is nobody with practical experience in this area.

I believe that it's commonly know that SSD don't last really long

This is not true, as with most hardware there is a small unlucky percentage of owners who have their units fail on them. But for the rest of us no...

However none of us have 5 or 10 year old SSDs so there is nobody with practical experience in this area.

very true, my oldest SSD (gen 1 OCZ agility 120GB) is only a bit over 3 years old, January 2010.

funny how i can now buy a 512GB Samsung 830 PRO for roughly the same price as what i paid for the 120GB in 2010 (and the the speed difference, lol)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

The MTBF is not really a good way to gauge the life of your SSD. It's better to look up the rated write levels per day/year.

For example the new seagate SSD is rated at 40 GB of writing per day or 72 TB over 3 years.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6935/Screen%20Shot%202013-05-06%20at%206.46.14%20PM.png

Staying under the rated write levels, in this case 72 TB in 3 years will ensure your drive will last longer than 3 years and less if used more.

Use a program like SSD Life or Crystal disk info to see your current read and write wear levels.

Note: if your SSD is old it may not support this feature and will not show these values in such programs.

System Specs: i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz 16GB Corsair Ram @ 2000MHz Asus GTX 670 DC2T