Replacing Fan In Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W

Hello all,

The fan in my Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W has died and I need to replace the fan, don't have cash for a replacement as it's a month out of warranty.

I understand all risks from the charge still stored inside the capacitors to the chance of damaging other components etc, etc.

So, what's going for me:

1. The psu still functions great. Still turns on, and carries on as normal

2. The fan is not soldered to the PCB and is connected via a 2 pin connector

3. The PSU does not have a built in fan controller, the problem is in relation to the death of the fan.

What's against me:

1. Cannot get an exact replacement of the fan nor one in the same form factor. The fan is a 135mm form factor and I can only get my hands on a 140mm or 120mm fans.

2. I have seen users with problems similar but i do not know the exact starting voltage of the fans I'm buying and I only have a guess of the originals starting range.

3. I have limited buying options as I live outside north america

This is the old fan young lin DFS132512H

Specs: 12V, 3.0 Watts or 0.25 amps. 1700 max RPM and a 135mm form factor. My estimated guess is the starting voltage is 4V. No idea of CFM

My best pick so far:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345069

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345042

http://www.eteknix.com/bitfenix-spectre-pro-pwm-and-spectre-led-fan-reviews/

The LED version has the exact same power usage but the CFM seems a lot lower where the other is the opposite. I have no idea of the starting voltage on the LED version.

Anyone got any idea on which I should choose?

Thanks for the help.

I have seen people mount this one in power supply's made for 135mm fans. But the mounting holes on it is the same as on 120mm fans.

Edit: Found this on the interwebs: "Finally find a fan that can replace the 135mm fan from my PSU. I have it done by attached the 120mm->140mm extension up-side-down to the fan, rotate all of them for ~150 degree." source

@Unlocker9000

Unfortunately I cannot get my hands on any of the noctua line since they are not prevalent in my country.

@W-L

I can get my hands on the spectre pro but there are two versions (Check Links). The regular has a very high power usage and I doubt it will work where the LED is similar to the old fan.

As for noctua, look at previous answer.

Update:

Here's the exact specifications of the replacement(Spectre Pro LED)

Dimensions (mm)
140x140x25mm
Current (A)
0.25A ±10%
Speed (RPM)     (NB, this has a lower RPM but does that matter?)
1200 RPM ±10%
Air Flow (CFM)
86.73 CFM ±10%
Air Pressure (mmH2O)
1.38 mmH2O
Noise (dB-A)          
22.8 dB(A)
Materials
PC & PBT
Operating Voltage
12VDC
Starting Voltage
5VDC
Bearing Type
Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB)

Previous Fan: (young lin DFS132512H)

Dimensions (mm)
135x135x25
Current (A)
0.25A ±10%
Speed (RPM)
1700RPM
Air Flow (CFM)
91.16 CFM
Air Pressure (mmH2O)
1.90 mmH2O
Noise (dB-A)          
36.28 dB(A)
Materials
?
Operating Voltage
12VDC
Starting Voltage
?
Bearing Type
Sleeved Bearing

Point taken on the LED's making increasing the amps.  I do know for sure the bitfenix Spectra Pro's work well for a PSU fan since I did a replacement on my corsair TX750 since the orginal yateloon fan was just a burden on your ears in a quite room. The most important thing I would look towards for the fan is static pressure, and the CFM's. If it interests you I did some testing with my PSU and was able to get a voltage of 7V approx on idle for the fan header for the TX750, it varies depending on the load of the system.

One important thing to note is if you do open a PSU be sure to unplug the unit and leave it for an extended period of time until all the capacitors have the power drain from them.

@W-L

The spectre pro is the closest I can get to a match. Also, did you have to jury rig anything?

The fan I'm replacing was a 135mm and all I can get is a 140mm fan so did you have to drill anything out or what did you do?

I understand the dangers of stored charges within the capacitor.

Last question, does the fan operate according to load? I guess as much since there is no integrated fan controller so therefore no temperature monitoring

@W-L

The spectre pro is the closest I can get to a match. Also, did you have to jury rig anything?

The fan I'm replacing was a 135mm and all I can get is a 140mm fan so did you have to drill anything out or what did you do?

I understand the dangers of stored charges within the capacitor.

Last question, does the fan operate according to load? I guess as much since there is no integrated fan controller so therefore no temperature monitoring

My TX750 originally had a 140mm so it just needed to swap it out, I know the Spectra Pro has a pretty thick bezel around the fan and I'm sure as long as you line it up carefully and drill some holes you can mount it without too much trouble. Only thing is depending on how the fan connector lines up you may need a 3 pin to 2 pin adaptor, lucky for me the spacing was basically the same and I just had to made sure the positive and negative were correctly aligned.

Temperature monitoring on PSU should be done by the load, or a temperature sensor depending on the unit. 

If its only 1 month out theyll usually still RMA it I would give it a try.

@TheProfosist

CoolerMaster is pretty heartless in South Africa. They wouldn't even throw a 2011 bracket with my hyper 212 evo after I bought it.

No long standing support this side. I don't think they have a support branch here, just a distributor.

@W-L

One thing I'm uncertain about, If the fan will sufficiently cool the unit and I have no idea how to measure if the PSU is overheating or not.

It's one thing for the fan to start up but is it actually cooling the unit sufficiently? Also, No idea what to do if the fan doesn't startup.

I guess just to connect it directly to the motherboard then?

@TheProfosist

CoolerMaster is pretty heartless in South Africa. They wouldn't even throw a 2011 bracket with my hyper 212 evo after I bought it.

No long standing support this side. I don't think they have a support branch here, just a distributor.

@W-L

One thing I'm uncertain about, If the fan will sufficiently cool the unit and I have no idea how to measure if the PSU is overheating or not.

It's one thing for the fan to start up but is it actually cooling the unit sufficiently? Also, No idea what to do if the fan doesn't startup.

I guess just to connect it directly to the motherboard then?

Cooling wise I did a quick test with a temperature probe on the exhaust of the PSU connected to a multimeter and ran prime 95 with Kombuster for about an hour, I didn't see anything higher than 30 degrees with a room at around 22 degrees which seemed pretty safe to me. As for the fan possibly not starting you can always connect the PSU fan via a molex to 3pin to the power supply externally or on the motherboard which will allow you to control the speed.  

So anyways, I guess I have all the information I need. Thanks for the help :D

I have a temperature probe and a voltmeter so after I get the fan, jury rig it in place and test the end result I'll post back the outcome.

Oh, forgot to ask. Would the fan ramp up and start spinning on startup of the PSU? Or would I have to wait and see if the power supply is under load first before it starts?

So anyways, I guess I have all the information I need. Thanks for the help :D

I have a temperature probe and a voltmeter so after I get the fan, jury rig it in place and test the end result I'll post back the outcome.

Oh, forgot to ask. Would the fan ramp up and start spinning on startup of the PSU? Or would I have to wait and see if the power supply is under load first before it starts?

That depends on your PSU since some have a silent operation until 40%-50% load, mine just turns on when the system is on, those PSU that have silent operation tend to get quiet a bit hotter until it needs to start cooling.

Hope it helps and Good Luck on it  :)