Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jUsTdOdGe

Is this ram compatible with 3950x/Zen 3?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm aware that Zen 3 isn't out yet, but I'm assuming that high end RAM compatible with 3950x will also work with the Zen 3 equivalent.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wCsmP6/corsair-dominator-platinum-rgb-32-gb-4-x-8-gb-ddr4-4000-memory-cmt32gx4m4k4000c19

If this RAM isn't compatible, is this RAM?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/t8fhP6/corsair-dominator-platinum-rgb-32-gb-4-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-cmt32gx4m4k3600c16

Motherboard is X570 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TBmFf7/gigabyte-x570-aorus-xtreme-eatx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-xtreme

3 minutes ago, jUsTdOdGe said:

If this RAM isn't compatible, is this RAM?

Both will probably work fine. 

Tho both are rather underwealming compared to what you get for the price. 

Edit: 3950x will require some manual tuning with the 4000mhz kit tho. As IF doesnt go that high. 

That's hella steep of a price, I would look at some viper patriot samsung b die for 1/3 of that price. 

I got some running at 3733 cl15 at 1.45v gear down off I could probably manage cl14 around 1.50v or less v.

1 minute ago, Mersaci said:

That's hella steep of a price, I would look at some viper patriot samsung b die for 1/3 of that price. 

I got some running at 3733 cl15 at 1.45v gear down off I could probably manage cl14 around 1.50v or less v.

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Both will probably work fine. 

Tho both are rather underwealming compared to what you get for the price. 

Edit: 3950x will require some manual tuning with the 4000mhz kit tho. As IF doesnt go that high. 

So question regarding that, will the PC boot or will I have issues and need to tweak in bios before hand? My intent is to watercool this system and it'll be my first overclocking experience but I want to get it up and running first. I was hoping the 4000mhz could be underclocked to tighten timings significantly OR that zen 3 will allow for higher IF clock speeds. win/win. Basically I want to tinker with it as I really enjoy that but I'm trying to secure parts first

I know there are better kits for the money but I've selected the dominator for a few other reasons.

5 minutes ago, jUsTdOdGe said:

i know there are better kits for the money but I've selected the dominator for a few other reasons.

I have no complains with my Viper Patriot 4400mhz. I know with this kit I am set till ddr5 comes out and tbh this is the best kit I ever had. Not sure if I got lucky or what.

I have no complains with my Viper Patriot 4400mhz. I know with this kit I am set till ddr5 comes out and tbh this is the best kit I ever had. Not sure if I got lucky or what.

Are you on a ryzen build? How did you manually set the timings for optimal performance?

16 minutes ago, jUsTdOdGe said:

Basically I want to tinker with it as I really enjoy that but I'm trying to secure parts first

For tinkering purposes the certainly are a whole lot more interesting kits. 

16 minutes ago, jUsTdOdGe said:

I know there are better kits for the money but I've selected the dominator for a few other reasons

The RGB?

Because i would suggest looking at some other offerings. 

Edit: also yes, its likely gonna boot fine. 

Yeah 3700x on a x570 tuf. You have to set the speed to let's say 3600 the the fclk 1/2 of that so 1800mh. Then you use ryzen calculator and copy the timings. I do 5 at the time see if it's boots then when everything is fine I try to tighten the timings see if I could squeeze some more out of it. 

Yeah 3700x on a x570 tuf. You have to set the speed to let's say 3600 the the fclk 1/2 of that so 1800mh. Then you use ryzen calculator and copy the timings. I do 5 at the time see if it's boots then when everything is fine I try to tighten the timings see if I could squeeze some more out of it. 

I'm sure there are relatively straight forward guides on that. Do you have any you followed?

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

For tinkering purposes the certainly are a whole lot more interesting kits. 

The RGB?

Because i would suggest looking at some other offerings. 

Edit: also yes, its likely gonna boot fine. 

Cool, thank you.

Aesthetics, I like Corsair, in some ways this is a build 20 years in the making and I wanted a dominator kit 20 years ago. If I wanted pure efficiency and performance I'd look at getting a Viper kit most likely. All Corsair QL fans, Corsair dominator, and until the custom loop is planned out a Corsair AIO. Corsair keyboard and mouse too. At this point, the memory is selected, I'm just trying to see what's the best kit in this lineup I can get and start in the right direction of maximizing that.

The CPU is a placeholder for Zen 3 but it's POSSIBLE I end up going 3950x

PNY is a placeholder card as well, just trying to grab 3090

IMG_20200904_151806.jpg

IMG_20200904_151749_1.jpg