After upgrade, GPU not detected on boot

hozzdutch

I've recently treated myself to a Asus ROG Maximus Hero XII and an Intel Core I9 10900k and a shiny new monitor, a ROG Strix XG27UQ.

No other components in my system were changed and I've done a fresh install of Windows to keep everything happy shiny.

Not long after doing the ugprade though, the motherboard no longer detects my GPU (an Nvidia 1080ti) on boot, I get one long beep and 3 short meaning no GPU detected.

After a few seconds, windows will boot up, the GPU is detected and everything works nicely.

This will happen consistently if I restart Windows, and intermittently (more often not than it does) on a fresh power up.

I never had a problem pre-upgrade, using an Asus Z170 Sabertooth Mark 1 and an I7 6700K.

The strange thing is that after I did the rebuild, it was working fine and this has only recently started happening.

I've tried moving the GPU to a different slot on the mobo, I've tried only connecting 1 of my 3 monitors but neither of these make a difference.

The BIOS is set to use PCIE as the first GPU so there shouldn't be a problem there.

I might be entirely wrong, but could this be a problem with the PSU? I'm using a Superflower Leadex Gold 1000w "80 Plus Gold". I was under the impression that this should be more then plentiful to run the system.

Providing I am wrong about this, what could the problem be here that's causing this issue?

I don't know whether it's related or not, but I'll mention it anyway. I've having a helluva time trying to get my Oculus Rift CV1 working on this system as well. While the Oculus software shows everything with a green light, as soon as I start to use the headset, it intermittently disconnect and various sensors will start turning orange to show that it's not got a good connection or show as USB 2....despite all the ports on the back of the PC being being USB 3.1 or 3.2.

Why I keep reading posts asking if 1000W or 850W PSU enough for the system?

9 hours ago, Deli said:

Why I keep reading posts asking if 1000W or 850W PSU enough for the system?

For your special benefit, I'll explain why I'm questioning the PSU...

I know that the PSU has enough power for the system otherwise I would have bought a new one with the the mobo and CPU.

The GPU works. It worked on my old motherboard. It works on the new one (after POST), it works in a different system I've tried it in. I can stress the hell out of it and it's solid.

When the system boots, I suspect (though I could be wrong, hence the reason I'm posting) that there is an initial larger power draw due to the new CPU (and or motherboard) taking more power than the old one I had before. My thinking is that the PSU can't ramp up the power quick enough for GPU as well and so it has no power during POST. Once the system then calms down, the PSU has had enough time to then output the power the graphics card needs.

This is all just guesswork on my behalf because I have no way of testing this theory. Hence I'm reaching out for other ideas as to why the problem is happening.

If you have a warranty on the 1080ti try getting a replacement? Otherwise, I'd recommend getting a new GPU as it sounds like a dying card to me.

To test my theory of the PSU not being able to supply a sudden burst of power, I just ran Cinebench R20 and Superposition benchmark at the same time.

CPU jumped from 30-40W to 230 being pulled and the GPU from 60 to 270.

Nothing fell over so I guess the PSU is ok.

30 minutes ago, Mojave06 said:

If you have a warranty on the 1080ti try getting a replacement? Otherwise, I'd recommend getting a new GPU as it sounds like a dying card to me.

It's only on POST though. If i can Benchmark the GPU where it gets pinned to 100% virtually constantly, and it runs fine. Is it really a GPU issue?

I can put the card into my kids PC and it works fine on boot.

16 hours ago, hozzdutch said:

To test my theory of the PSU not being able to supply a sudden burst of power, I just ran Cinebench R20 and Superposition benchmark at the same time.

CPU jumped from 30-40W to 230 being pulled and the GPU from 60 to 270.

Nothing fell over so I guess the PSU is ok.

It's only on POST though. If i can Benchmark the GPU where it gets pinned to 100% virtually constantly, and it runs fine. Is it really a GPU issue?

I can put the card into my kids PC and it works fine on boot.

Motherboard?