Monitor not showing full picture at the top

Quackwich

This is hard to explain but I noticed my monitor isn't displaying the full image, but on at the very top, just before the border.

This is evident when using Firefox, whereby the selected tab will have a blue line. My monitor doesn't show this blue line when Firefox is used in full screen. Taking a fullscreen screenshot shows the blue line in Firefox, but my monitor does not show it. This extends to other things like in Dota 2, the hero portraits at the top have coloured lines - these lines are visible but very tiny relative to on other streamer's when not in full screen.

The monitor I am using is the PRISM+ X240.

What I am expected to see:

Spoiler

spacer.png

What I actually see:

Spoiler

spacer.png

I am relatively confident it's a monitor/hardware issue since it appears in screenshots, but I just want a second opinion/just to be sure.

I have fiddled with NVIDIA control panel settings and Windows display settings and everything seems to be in order.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

Monitor manufacturers often don’t make the panels.  It’s possible the panel inside the monitor is misaligned slightly.  Is there an equally sized gap at the bottom?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Monitor manufacturers often don’t make the panels.  It’s possible the panel inside the monitor is misaligned slightly.  Is there an equally sized gap at the bottom?

No.

This only started happening after I've had the monitor for a year.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

2 minutes ago, Quackwich said:

No.

This only started happening after I've had the monitor for a year.

Hmm. That’s different than previously described. Perhaps a transistor line died.  What’s the warranty on the monitor look like?  Might be able to get it replaced.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Hmm. That’s different than previously described. Perhaps a transistor line died.  What’s the warranty on the monitor look like?  Might be able to get it replaced.

Don't think a transistor died - seems like it stops where the borders of the monitor is, which is very weird. Also, are transistors in a line? Because it only happens across the top edge, and it's almost unnoticeable, but if you look at the comparison images in the OP, you'll see what I mean.

Go to NV control panel and choose the "resize" feature. Then you call pull the screen to fit. 

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Go to NV control panel and choose the "resize" feature. Then you call pull the screen to fit. 

It is set to the maximum screen resolution (1920x1080). I cannot increase it anymore.

image.png.91289ba7af074a4ff5adc516ebd3ed21.png

4 minutes ago, Quackwich said:

It is set to the maximum screen resolution (1920x1080). I cannot increase it anymore.

Are you sure it's not 2160x1080 or something?

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Are you sure it's not 2160x1080 or something?

No.

In all the places (NVIDIA CP, Windows), it is set to 1920x1080.

7 hours ago, Quackwich said:

Don't think a transistor died - seems like it stops where the borders of the monitor is, which is very weird. Also, are transistors in a line? Because it only happens across the top edge, and it's almost unnoticeable, but if you look at the comparison images in the OP, you'll see what I mean.

The way I understand monitors to work is a monitor is a grid kind of like a battleship game except much much larger. So to pick a pixel one would do something like “make b4 green” except of course much much larger.  Transistor is the wrong word most likely.  I think there’s a transistor on every pixel now. And for every color layer. Or something else.  A transistor would be if it’s a black and white standard lcd screen which these clearly aren’t.  If for some reason your “a” line died it could do this.  I’m thinking in grossly outdated tech.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The way I understand monitors to work is a monitor is a grid kind of like a battleship game except much much larger. So to pick a pixel one would do something like “make b4 green” except of course much much larger.  Transistor is the wrong word most likely.  I think there’s a transistor on every pixel now. And for every color layer. Or something else.  A transistor would be if it’s a black and white standard lcd screen which these clearly aren’t.  If for some reason your “a” line died it could do this.  I’m thinking in grossly outdated tech.

I think the way a monitor displays is based on what kind of panel it has. My monitor has a VA panel.