Can the MSI B250 PC mate still run dual channel if I add a 3rd stick?

Hi there,

I have been running into memory problems lately trying to play games and was wondering if I could upgrade it without spending too much money.

I currently have 2 HyperX Fury 2400Mhz C15 kits in my pc of each 4Gb, for a total of 8Gb. These are ofcourse running in dual channel mode.

Now I was wondering if I could buy another 4Gb 2400Mhz C15 stick and add it to the already existing 8Gb and still have the onces in the A2 and B2 slots run in dual channel. I know this is a thing with some motherboards, but couldn't find anything on it for the MSI b250 pc mate.

Maybe someone has expierence with this motherboard and could help me out? Would be much appreciated!

PC specs:

- I5 7400

- MSI B250 PC Mate

- 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz

- MSI 1050Ti

i dont think that is possible(?) the only way i found for three sticks was two sticks and and one more that was double the capacity of the other sticks. and that was in linus's video on his first rig.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

a 3rd stick would result in practically cutting your bandwidth in half 

so you'll be running at single channel 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

18 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

a 3rd stick would result in practically cutting your bandwidth in half 

so you'll be running at single channel 

Thanks for your response! Do you think it is worth it to buy 2 new 4gb sticks then, for 20 euros extra so I have quad channel? Or do you think I won't notice a difference without dual channel and I should just save the 20 euros and only buy the one stick?

18 hours ago, eeeee1 said:

i dont think that is possible(?) the only way i found for three sticks was two sticks and and one more that was double the capacity of the other sticks. and that was in linus's video on his first rig.

So maybe it could work if I bought the 8gb varient of the 2400Hmz C15? 

2 minutes ago, IJuanTM said:

Thanks for your response

Quad stick on consumer platforms is the same bandwidth as dual channel with extra pressure on the imc

Is it worth it ? Depends if you want the extra capacity.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 hours ago, IJuanTM said:

So maybe it could work if I bought the 8gb varient of the 2400Hmz C15? 

i have no idea. like i said the video i saw was about this from like 10-15 YEARS ago and even then it kinda sucked. I dont know if it is still possible or not

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

7 hours ago, IJuanTM said:

Thanks for your response! Do you think it is worth it to buy 2 new 4gb sticks then, for 20 euros extra so I have quad channel? Or do you think I won't notice a difference without dual channel and I should just save the 20 euros and only buy the one stick?

That's not quad channel. It's still dual channel, just with two sticks in each channel. Quad channel is only available on boards for high end chips like the Threadripper.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse