Power Supply for 3950x + 2070 SUPER

Anderson Merten

Hey guys.. sorry to bother you with this, but I just bought a Ryzen 3950X bundle with the Asus Rog Strix 650W Power Supply, I'm just afraid that the PSU might not be enough. My question is: this PSU is gonna be enough to hold a 2070 super strix + 3950x? I'm not a gamer and I probably won't overclock the GPU (maybe one day if necessary), but yes, I'll probably OC the CPU. (Mostly using 3dsmax with corona for architecture)

My specs are: Ryzen 3950x + Trident Z Neo 64gb 3600mhz, 2070 super asus strix, 2tb 970 evo plus, 240mm liquid cooler and 4 120mm fans.

You guys think I should return the 650W and maybe get the 750W or even the thor 850w? I don't mind paying a little bit more, I'm just afraid to destroy my computer because of 20 or 50 dollars, sorry for my ignorance.

Thank guys for your attention!

5 minutes ago, Anderson Merten said:

Hey guys.. sorry to bother you with  

*snip*

Most people tend to over exaggerate on systems power usage. On the 1 hand you probably have enough with 650w to begin with. #2 you probably won't be using %100 of your system, ever, anyway. #3 even if you were, (not a recommendation) a psu can normally punch above its class if its asked to, especially if it has enough cooling. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

6 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Most people tend to over exaggerate on systems power usage. On the 1 hand you probably have enough with 650w to begin with. #2 you probably won't be using %100 of your system, ever, anyway. #3 even if you were, (not a recommendation) a psu can normally punch above its class if its asked to, especially if it has enough cooling. 

Thanks for your answer man! Yeah that's exactly what I read, that people tend to exaggerate. You're right, probably the only time I'll be using a good amount of my desktop is when rendering with the CPU overclock, but I don't need to use or OC the GPU doing that. If i decide to game (maybe one day install some games just to check it out) I won't OC the CPU for that, am I right? Thanks man!

12 minutes ago, Anderson Merten said:

Thanks for your answer man! Yeah that's exactly what I read, that people tend to exaggerate. You're right, probably the only time I'll be using a good amount of my desktop is when rendering with the CPU overclock, but I don't need to use or OC the GPU doing that. If i decide to game (maybe one day install some games just to check it out) I won't OC the CPU for that, am I right? Thanks man!

Ps. Even gaming won't use %100 of your system ;)

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Just now, Jae Tee said:

That emote 

1 hour ago, Jae Tee said:

Thanks my friend.. I hope you have a nice weekend and stay safe during this whole thing