Gigabyte rx 5600 xt

gamesalex

Hi, I just had a few questions about the gigabyte rx 5600 xt (the one with 3 fans).

First of all, how risky is updating the vbios?

Secondly, if I chose not to update the vbios would the card only suffer a drop in performance, or could not updating have a detrimental effect on the health of the card?

Just now, sillydolphin1 said:

If you are worried about ruining your card don't do it.

Ok, but would this only impact performance or would it have a detrimental impact on the card in other ways?

1 minute ago, gamesalex said:

Ok, but would this only impact performance or would it have a detrimental impact on the card in other ways?

If you are talking about flashing the card with a new bios to give it more performance it will give a slight performance increase but that usually means going over a safe voltage and that can be unsafe and unhealthy for the card. so it isn't worth it.

Updating any bios is ALWAYS risky. Period. This card does not have a dual bios configuration either as far as I can tell which means if the worst happens theres no falling back to a different bios

How about the Sapphire Pulse RX 5600XT? It has dual bios which gives you a backup to fall back to if the bios flash messes up

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11296-01-20G-Radeon-Backplate-Graphics/dp/B083R25Z94/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rx+5600+xt&qid=1585988132&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The vbios update with improved clock speeds and such makes pretty good difference, IMHO, if you're not updating the bios on the 5600 XT buy a 2060 instead

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

7 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

Updating any bios is ALWAYS risky. Period. This card does not have a dual bios configuration either as far as I can tell which means if the worst happens theres no falling back to a different bios

How about the Sapphire Pulse RX 5600XT? It has dual bios which gives you a backup to fall back to if the bios flash messes up

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11296-01-20G-Radeon-Backplate-Graphics/dp/B083R25Z94/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rx+5600+xt&qid=1585988132&s=electronics&sr=1-3

The vbios update with improved clock speeds and such makes pretty good difference, IMHO, if you're not updating the bios on the 5600 XT buy a 2060 instead

The thing is the price I've found on this card is close to a top end 1660 super and a low end 2060. I'm considering this card as it gives great performance for the price, and I have the option to update the vbios in the future. I just want to make sure that it is only performance that is impacted and that the card's health won't be negatively impacted by not updating.

2 minutes ago, gamesalex said:

The thing is the price I've found on this card is close to a top end 1660 super and a low end 2060. I'm considering this card as it gives great performance for the price, and I have the option to update the vbios in the future. I just want to make sure that it is only performance that is impacted and that the card's health won't be negatively impacted by not updating.

No. The card will be fine so long as thermals are fine. 

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Just now, KenjiS9965 said:

Ok thank you

52 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

Also, would a 550w psu be sufficient?

1 minute ago, gamesalex said:

Also, would a 550w psu be sufficient?

If its a good one you should be fine

1 minute ago, KenjiS9965 said:

Ok it's an 80+ gold so I'll be good thanks

1 hour ago, KenjiS9965 said:

Sorry to keep bothering you but would an 80+ bronze 650w psu be sufficient, the other psu seems to be out of stock anywhere it sold for a reasonable price

3 hours ago, gamesalex said:

Sorry to keep bothering you but would an 80+ bronze 650w psu be sufficient, the other psu seems to be out of stock anywhere it sold for a reasonable price

That will be fine

I, admittedly, overbuild a bit on the PSU because if PSUs fail they tend to take -everything- with them and a poor PSU can create very hard to diagnose issues

2 minutes ago, KenjiS9965 said:

That will be fine

I, admittedly, overbuild a bit on the PSU because if PSUs fail they tend to take -everything- with them and a poor PSU can create very hard to diagnose issues

OK thanks, looking at a corsair psu so I know its going to be reliable