Gpu usage not being fully utilized

Napalm-

My rig

RTX 2070 super

i7-9700F

16gb DDR4 ram

650 watt psu

in every single game I play the gpu stays between 50-60 percent while the cpu is at 80 or above

ive tried

DDU installer reinstall drives

used nvidia control panel set to high performance

regular control panel high performance 

defrag my HDD

uninstall reinstall games

but yet nothing works it can’t be heat because my cpu is water cooled staying around 60 gpu does get up into the 80- 82 but I don’t know how to fix it

games I’ve tried

risingstorm 2 Vietnam

insurgency sandstorm

PUBG

csgo

battlefield 1

rust

rainbow six siege

mordhau

gta 5

dayz

nothing seems to work

Do you have any framerate limits set? GeForce control panel can do this, some games also have the settings for this.

Yeah... about 2070 Supers. I would say if the FPS you are getting is what it is expected, you should be fine.

My constantly runs at 80%, 20%, 100% during gaming, games like Division 2, GTA 5, Borderland 3 in that order.

So I wouldn't go nuts about it. So far, i just ignore it since it didnt cost me performance.

My seige FPS with everything locked to ultra, render resolution pulled all the way to match native resolution, 1440P is 120FPS from their benchmark.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

Open GPUz and hit the sensor tab. Pay attention to performance cap reason.

13 minutes ago, AaronThomas said:

Do you have any framerate limits set? GeForce control panel can do this, some games also have the settings for this.

No because the FPS goes up and down so often going from 180 to like 100  

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Open GPUz and hit the sensor tab. Pay attention to performance cap reason.

What does that mean 

13 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Yeah... about 2070 Supers. I would say if the FPS you are getting is what it is expected, you should be fine.

My constantly runs at 80%, 20%, 100% during gaming, games like Division 2, GTA 5, Borderland 3 in that order.

So I wouldn't go nuts about it. So far, i just ignore it since it didnt cost me performance.

My seige FPS with everything locked to ultra, render resolution pulled all the way to match native resolution, 1440P is 120FPS from their benchmark.

It’s not just that the FPS goes mad like it will be 180 then drop to 100 then 120 then 100 it’s all over the place

1 minute ago, Napalm- said:

It’s not just that the FPS goes mad like it will be 180 then drop to 100 then 120 then 100 it’s all over the place

DDU the driver, and download your driver from Guru3D.

So far, that has helped 3 people on this forum that have 2070S. Try your luck.

1 minute ago, Pikatchu said:

I installed the 442.37 I think

1 minute ago, Pikatchu said:

The newest one

1 minute ago, Napalm- said:

The newest one

Try Guru3D, newest doesn't mean the most stable driver.

4 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Try Guru3D, newest doesn't mean the most stable driver.

What’s the most stable then

17 minutes ago, Napalm- said:

What does that mean 

No hidden meaning. 

Gpuz displays reasons for performance cap.......

5 minutes ago, Napalm- said:

What’s the most stable then

To answer your question, no, you do not have the newest one.image.thumb.png.3fa3a2d46bf4113589f9d2f6b7f25898.png

Like I said, go to Guru3D, download the latest driver they have on there. Install it, and hope for the best.

13 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

To answer your question, no, you do not have the newest one.image.thumb.png.3fa3a2d46bf4113589f9d2f6b7f25898.png

Like I said, go to Guru3D, download the latest driver they have on there. Install it, and hope for the best.

Does usage being low have to deal with drivers aswell

14 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Because at some points the gpu will be at 80 Percent running great then drop to 50 percent 

4 hours ago, Napalm- said:

What does that mean 

Let me try again. See if you spark any interest to learn this. 

In this screen shot below I have circled a few things to tip you off how NVidia runs the GPUs. It's very similar to AMD's algorithm for "boost" clocks.

It's important to see the temperature. You can be performance capped by temp. That's a given.

In this screen shot, we will see the card at max load with over stock boost frequency as you see circled Blue on the left represents that base boost frequency and there on the right the reason it's actually boosting over stock boost frequency.

You'll see below on the right, circled Performance Cap Reason = VRel.

This is Voltage Reliability" and also dictates boosting. In short, Gpu-z is telling me to use additional v-core.  

So thus the boost or "performance" is capped by VRel 

1534355865_PerformanceCapdemo.thumb.png.3a85a1c88d7bf0900516a4331c64b131.png

The lower Gpu usage you may be experiencing could be from Utilizing PCI-E lanes with M2, sometimes cards added in the lower PCI-E slots will do this. 

I had this experience while crunching numbers with 2x RTX 2060s. 

With one Gpu in the 1st slot and the 2nd Gpu in the last slot, The GPUs only utilize up to 88% load. 

HOWEVER - You'd think the thermals would be lower or perhaps using less wattage, but it actually looks as if they are at 100% load and the reading in GPU-Z is wrong. It's kind of strange, but only happens when I use the 1st and last slots on my board, Unfortunately, I do not have an M.2 drive to experiment with utilizing PCIE lanes and see how the GPU reacts to it, or more so I should say how the monitoring application is reading and displaying it. That's my experience with these types of issues so far and whatever testing I've done to improve the situation. 

I do know that using the 1st and 2nd slot while folding, the GPUs both go to 100% load and is displayed as such. My issue was the cards being so close together, the 1st 2060 ran about 15c hotter getting into the mid 70s and then it backs the clocks down. Rather counter productive for my needs. So in the search for better temps, separated the cards.

Hope this helps.