Windows Memory Managment BSOD week after setting up Dual-Boot with Linux

Go to solution Solved by Aleksa Djordjic,

Quick update, since no-one responded.

Deleted the partition and made a new one.

Re-ran the setup and it didn't crash this time.

Re-installed Windows and now its working fine...

I guess that is the fix, but that confused me even more;

So it was a corrupted partition, but why was it crashing the installer too...?

To keep things short, here is a bit of backstory, what i did and what the problem is currently:

Couple months ago, i installed Linux alongside Windows 10.

OS that i chose was Elementary OS 5.1 (Based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS... i think)

While installing it, when it asked me if i wanted to keep my old OS (Win 10), i just allocated 100GB to Linux and let it do all the partition management and dual-boot GRUB stuff.

Everything was working fine, but after ~1-2 weeks, i couldn't boot back in to Windows, each time i would see the Windows logo for a couple of sec and then it would throw a BSOD which would say "Memory Management"... and nothing else... it couldn't even boot in to its own Automatic Repair thingy...

While searching around, I couldn't find anything helpful, everything included me booting in to windows, either normally of in Safe Mode... which i couldn't do...

Other stuff included checking the RAM sticks, resenting them, testing one by one but that didn't help...

I'm more of a software guy than hardware, but i don't think that its something with the physical RAM sticks being damaged or something like that... Linux is still working fine...

I thought it might be a corrupt Windows install or maybe GRUB had a wrong config for booting Windows, so i tried to re-install Windows or boot in to the USB and check what is going on

Even booting from a USB in to the Windows Installed would crash it, same BSOD.

In short, here is what i tried so far:

- Tried booting from a USB (To reinstall Windows, got the same BSOD)

- Tried resenting and changing RAM

... and a short summary:

- I can't boot in to Windows, at all, no matter from where i boot from, same error...

- Linux is working fine

- RAM is fine... (i'm guessing, i hope)

I have full access to the disk from Linux so i would have no problem recovering files, managing partitions etc.

but i would still like to know if there is a way to recover the current install.

GRUB should have memtest, did you run it?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

No, i didn't...

Didn't know it had it, i went trough GRUB to see if it had something like that but couldn't find anything.

Gonna go trough again... I was probably just blind... xD

5 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

4 minutes ago, Aleksa Djordjic said:

No, i didn't...

Didn't know it had it, i went trough GRUB to see if it had something like that but couldn't find anything.

Gonna go trough again... I was probably just blind... xD

Nope, can't find it...

There isn't a command for it, but i guess i can just boot in to Linux and do a memtest either way...

You do have a grub-menu installed from where you decide to either boot linux or windows? There should as well be a memtest-entry.

2 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

You do have a grub-menu installed from where you decide to either boot linux or windows? There should as well be a memtest-entry.

There is now that i installed it, that is what i mean by "i cant just boot in to Linux and do a memtest either way", sorry xD

Doing the memtest right now.

Completed the memtest a couple of times, every time it said there were no errors but Windows still wont boot and throws that error.

Quick update, since no-one responded.

Deleted the partition and made a new one.

Re-ran the setup and it didn't crash this time.

Re-installed Windows and now its working fine...

I guess that is the fix, but that confused me even more;

So it was a corrupted partition, but why was it crashing the installer too...?