Leadex II fan replacement

Billy_Wellington

I am unhappy with the stock fan of Superflower Leadex II 750w power supply.

If i leave fan control on AUTO, it's easily the most audible thing in my PC during idle which is iiritating a bit, if i turn ECO mode on - it is silent, but randomly spins to very high RPM's on desktop, or during browsing the net, whatever operation i perform.

Generally speaking, what sort of fan is compatible with power supply mounting hole size? What i want to do is to put a good case fan inside, drill a hole, connect it to motherboard 4 pin and set up control with software to regulate the RPM according to GPU temperature (because obviously when gpu is idle i have no loads that require PSU fan to be on high rpm, something like 300 rpm should be enough for idle).

I have silent wings 3 fan to spare, but from the looks of it mounting holes do not align. The PSU fans are usually 135mm, the only ones i see are from ali express and those are 2 pin fans. Maybe standart 120mm case fan will fit? Pls help :P

Also maybe someone can confirm my observations and tell me if i need american-size hex keys to disassemble the thing? Because my set of metric do not fit.

17 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

If i leave fan control on AUTO, it's easily the most audible thing in my PC during idle which is iiritating a bit, if i turn ECO mode on - it is silent, but randomly spins to very high RPM's on desktop, or during browsing the net, whatever operation i perform.

Generally speaking, what sort of fan is compatible with power supply mounting hole size? What i want to do is to put a good case fan inside, drill a hole, connect it to motherboard 4 pin and set up control with software to regulate the RPM according to GPU temperature (because obviously when gpu is idle i have no loads that require PSU fan to be on high rpm, something like 300 rpm should be enough for idle).

I have silent wings 3 fan to spare, but from the looks of it mounting holes do not align. The PSU fans are usually 135mm, the only ones i see are from ali express and those are 2 pin fans. Maybe standart 120mm case fan will fit? Pls help :P

Also maybe someone can confirm my observations and tell me if i need american-size hex keys to disassemble the thing? Because my set of metric do not fit.

This whole plan strikes me as dangerous.  PSUs have very large capacitors in them and electrocution is a serious possibility.  

If possible I would suggest finding a different PSU that meets your needs better.

To determine sizes the model number as well as the name may be needed.

Model number SF-750F14EG has a 135mm fluid dynamic bearing fan.  These bearings are fairly expensive implying the fan is of decent quality.  You may or may not have that model though.

Standard case fans will not fit the mounting holes for 135mm.  120 mm fans will fit in the fan case but will not fit the holes.  140mm fans may or may not fit in the case but the mounting holes will also not align.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This whole plan strikes me as dangerous.  PSUs have very large capacitors in them and electrocution is a serious possibility.  

If possible I would suggest finding a different PSU that meets your needs better.

To determine sizes the model number as well as the name may be needed.

Model number SF-750F14EG has a 135mm fluid dynamic bearing fan.  These bearings are fairly expensive implying the fan is of decent quality.  You may or may not have that model though.

Standard case fans will not fit the mounting holes for 135mm.  120 mm fans will fit in the fan case but will not fit the holes.  140mm fans may or may not fit in the case but the mounting holes will also not align.

The capacitors can be discharged - you can turn off psu, then turn on the PC and it will turn on for a second and then turn off.

I am not saying the fan itself is bad, it's just it's fan curve is something that i do not like and i have no control over it whatsoever.

This leadex unit is expensive and other than fan its a great unit with no coil whine or other issues, i think replacing fan fir a perfectly working unit is cheaper than buying an entirely new psu. 

13 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

The capacitors can be discharged - you can turn off psu, then turn on the PC and it will turn on for a second and then turn off.

I am not saying the fan itself is bad, it's just it's fan curve is something that i do not like and i have no control over it whatsoever.

This leadex unit is expensive and other than fan its a great unit with no coil whine or other issues, i think replacing fan fir a perfectly working unit is cheaper than buying an entirely new psu. 

I see two potential problems:

1: unplugging the fan from the PSU May send it into some safety shutdown mode as might changing the fan to a different model.  The thing could possibly simply not work without that fan.

2: Case fans of any size will need different mounting holes and you risk overheating the PSU by disconnecting its fan from its control system

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I see two potential problems:

1: unplugging the fan from the PSU May send it into some safety shutdown mode as might changing the fan to a different model.  The thing could possibly simply not work without that fan.

2: Case fans of any size will need different mounting holes and you risk overheating the PSU by disconnecting its fan from its control system

I see your point and will think about it. In the meantime i will consult with psu tier list and see what my options are. 

5 hours ago, Billy_Wellington said:

This is a fan controller problem.  Not a fan problem.  Switching out the fan is not going to solve the problem because whatever fan you put in there is going to be controlled by the same controller.

You should have bought a PSU that's actually engineered to be a quiet PSU.

4 hours ago, Billy_Wellington said:

I see your point and will think about it. In the meantime i will consult with psu tier list and see what my options are. 

One thing you could try quick is to unplug the fan and see if it even runs.  If it doesn’t, there you go.  Or you could just pick a quiet PSU, or even see if super flower has a way to update the fan controller to something less annoying.  It’s unlikely they have, but Stranger things have happened.

IF you can even get ahold of them of course.  It’s not completely impossible that your fan controller is somehow bad and is actually supposed to have a variable fan rate, in which case you could RMA it.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

This is a fan controller problem.  Not a fan problem.  Switching out the fan is not going to solve the problem because whatever fan you put in there is going to be controlled by the same controller.

You should have bought a PSU that's actually engineered to be a quiet PSU.

I wanted to control it trough motherboard ?

38 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

I wanted to control it trough motherboard ?

That's a bad idea since the motherboard doesn't know how hot the PSU is.

• 2 months later...

Hey man there is definitely an issue with your specific PSU I have a Super Flower and it’s silent Han hardly hear it with my ear next to it yes it’s vaguely audible but being able to hear it with all the other fans turned off with the case closed would be impossible even if the computer was a open build you wouldn’t be able to hear it unless year ear was very close with everything else silent I have sensitive ears and I thought the fan was off at the beginning until I looked at the thing to my surprise the fan was spinning but hardly making a noise 

Side Note I have the:

Super Flower SF-750F14EG(WH) Leadex II 750W