PC for £1800 for video editing and gaming

florianerb

This is a continuation of a post but thought i would post again before i order parts.

previous thread - 

This is my current build i'm planning - 

I ending up putting this together i'm going over my budget a little bit but i don't want to loss the white RGB fans and look for this build. Also for me i want to stick with AMD for graphics as i do want to be able to use the card with my mac later down the line.

One thing i wanted to know about was the power supply as far as i can tell there is not much reason for going with anything better then a bronze and i want something modular. 

If you have any suggestion on something better then let me know

thanks 

I'd suggest a better psu. Spending less than 5.5% of the system budget on a component that directly affects system stability and longevity does not strike me as prudent. Consider something like an RM650X or if that is too rich, a TX650M.

While there is no need  to spend a ton on the motherboard putting a £500 cpu on a £90 motherboard is pushing the limits of viability. This is especially so for a system that will run higher loads for long periods.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

If this is for DaVinci resolve, the Radeon VII with a 3700x will give you much better performance in your preview window, with slightly slower renders (which take along time anyway so its not as big of a deal as your scrubbing and preview window).  If this is for Sony Vegas, I still would only get the 3700x as it can only uttilize 16 threads for rendering in most versions anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-16GB-Boost-1xHDMI/dp/B07NFGDZWQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=radeon+vii&qid=1576379289&sr=8-1

Conversely, I'm pretty sure the Vega 56/64 also outperforms the 5700xt in most editing workloads aswell, as AMDis still only focusing on gaming with the 5700xt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Radeon-RX-Vega-56-DirectX-12-Air-Boost-8G-OC-8GB-Graphics-Card/153761838002?epid=10028679558&hash=item23cceb73b2:g:FVIAAOSwTkVd8pI2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-VEGA-64-8-GB-HBM2-Graphics-Card/174124749537?epid=20031092251&hash=item288aa4d2e1:g:iCgAAOSwxgZd894w

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

I would likewise recommend a x570 board (I'm going with the Tuf gaming, but the aorus Elite is also nice, around 200)

Also, this might be a personal thing, but I think what youre paying for the monitor is exorbitant. You can get similar spec monitors for literally 250 pounds less.

If i were to relocate your funds, I'd take 250 from the monitor, and drop them towards a 2070 super or that x570 mobo. Get an 1440p/144hz monitor (with Gsync for nvidia). AMD is getting my CPU business, but for GPU they're not quite there yet imo. If you're deadset on that AMD gpu, I guess you could do worse than a 5700XT.  

I have an LG monitor, 1440/144 with 1 ms lat, and a very sexy 30 inches. it cost me €200, retail. 

4 hours ago, Daeyve said:

You can get similar spec monitors for literally 250 pounds less.

The monitor is expensive because of it colour accuracy (delta E of <2) and support for p3 colour space 

1 hour ago, florianerb said:

The monitor is expensive because of it colour accuracy (delta E of <2) and support for p3 colour space 

Also thats what you have to pay for IPS, 1ms response time and 144Hz variable refresh rate. But still looking at your build its eating up quite alot of your budget which is why you are not saving up enough money for a decent x570 motherboard as no one would recommend the TOMAHAWK for 3900X. Its good enough for 3700X, but anything above that shouldn't be paired with it despite its exceptional B450 lineup VRM and heatsink. Also you need to spend a liitle more on PSU, because at this price point there is no way you are going to stick with Bronze Certified product.

All that said, the only option you have is to either increase your budget or get somewhat less expensive monitor with a good VA panel but you will have to compromise on V-Sync. Something like this is what you should consider,

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/qnqhP6/samsung-lc27jg50qqnza-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-lc27jg50qqnza

or else you will have to pay around 140 pounds more just to reduce that 4ms response time to 1. Also I found no cooler in your build so if you are using something from previous build or that you have already purchased, please mention so that I could do build you something balanced and more suitable.

Regards.

The MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX will be fine with the 3900X. No need to spend £200 on an X570 board.

If you downgrade to the 3700X as suggested above, then even less of a reason to go X570.

3 hours ago, florianerb said:

Ah ok fair enough. I'm not a monitor-guy, I have little knowledge on the subject. But just for a bit of extra info, this is the one I got: https://www.coolblue.nl/product/835211/aoc-q3279vwfd8.html

Just noticed that the response time isn't 1ms like I thought, but rather 5ms. It just seemed like a very big price for a monitor, considering the sacrifice in terms of gpu, but it's a moot argument if your priority is colour. Disregard my earlier feedback monitor-wise.

I agree with Daeyve on the monitor. The Rx 5700XT seems to be set, I guess due to price/performance.

There needs to be some sort of external storage for your works, maybe 2tb hotswap?

It's quite a big case for hardly any drive to put into...