Modifying an Optiplex GX520 for old games.

Bruski 2-0

I'm currently working on modding an old Optiplex GX520 to run several old games (1998-2000) I have for the sake of nostalgia. I'll admit that I'm very new to PC building and need assistance in finding compatible parts. The motherboard is a Foxconn LS-36 with a PLGA-775 socket, so what would be the best CPU I could upgrade to? Also in need of recommendations for a soundcard as none are detected.

8 minutes ago, goto10 said:

theoretically a core 2 quad q6600, is 4 cores, the motherboard theoretically will support it in terms of the lga 775 socket, but look at this link

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Processor-compatibility-issue/td-p/3350076

if there is no new bios update, your options on cpu support are very limited

It's currently running an A11 bios, if that is any additional help.

8 minutes ago, goto10 said:

theoretically a core 2 quad q6600, is 4 cores, the motherboard theoretically will support it in terms of the lga 775 socket, but look at this link

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Processor-compatibility-issue/td-p/3350076

if there is no new bios update, your options on cpu support are very limited

A Core 2 Quad won't work in those systems. The GX560/GX620 were mainly Pentium 4/Pentium D based. You will need to look at the higher end Pentium D chips. When you do put a new CPU in, make sure you clean the heatsink and CPU and apply new thermal paste. The heatsink in those machines can handle a fair amount of heat just fine, but you'll want to help it when you can. 

Just now, Bruski 2-0 said:

It's currently running an A11 bios, if that is any additional help.

For those machines, the BIOS really doesn't matter. No Core 2 CPUs will work, only the older and slower Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds.