1ms IPS vs Nano IPS (27GL83A vs 27GL850)

tanffn

Hi,

I am looking for a good work monitor (at least 2k, no color shift => ips) that can also work for gaming (TBS and FPS).

After a lot of googling (and LTT videos :)) I found LG's  27GL850-B.

BUT they have a much cheaper variant (27GL83A-B), very similar spec just significantly cheaper.

1.a. Since HDR in 27GL850 is bad anyway, what advantage does it have?

1.b. Does 'nano" worth that extra 150USD?

LG 27GL83A-B        

• https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGZL8XF?tag=rtings-mn-p-20&ie=UTF8&th=1    
  • https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl83a-b

LG 27GL850-B

• https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD94TQF?tag=rtings-mn-p-20&ie=UTF8&th=1    
  • https://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-27GL850-B

2. Are there other monitor, at the same price point ~400-500 USD, that I should consider?

2.a. How about ASUS PG279Q ? tho it's much more expensive.. 

Thanks!

1ms is really good response time, i wouldn't worry about the difference. i haven't checked the specs, but recommend comparing color gamut and the hdr specifications of the 850 model. you say its bad hdr so i assume its around hdr400, give or take. anything under 1000 lumens isn't "true" hdr, so i would ignore the hdr stats altogether. IPS panels are usually good either way, so overall i recommend the cheaper model if the savings are significant.

fyi, you say its a 2k monitor, but i assume you mean 1440p. 2k is 1080p resolution, whereas 1440p is around 2.5k (it's measured by horizontal pixels)

There are no difference between them other than in color gamut of the backlight. There's no alternatives for this LG display currently unless you'll go in VA territory.

But VAs are fine really, i've just swapped my 23" 75Hz IPS display for AOC 24" 144Hz VA one, after some tinkering colors are okay, obviously not as vivid as on IPS but there's almost no 'color shift' if you're not looking at it from extreme angles. That said, i was tinkering with my old IPS display for a quite some time too, trying to get best colors. Also, VA displays have deeper blacks and almost no backlight bleed in comparison with IPS which is relevant for darker games, there's somewhat noticeable trails in some circumstances tho, mostly when pixels are switching form black\grey to white and vice versa in fast motion, but you'll get used to it after some time. You can get gaming VA display for 100$ less (AOC \ Samsung ones are cheapest ones).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

33 minutes ago, tanffn said:

Thank you both! :)

For starters, they are NOT 1ms displays.

Not even TN panels can do 1ms. IPS most certainly cant.

The LG 27GL850B for example is actually a 6.7ms 'average' response time panel. With the slowest transition measuring in at 9.8ms

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

For IPS though, it is one of , if not the fastest IPS panel out there thats been reviewed.

the 1ms advertised specs come from the fact that technically a single transition can infact achieve 1ms or faster. but this usually require insane levels of overdrive that cause catastrophic levels of overshoot which no1 in their right mind will ever put up wit when used. In addition the 1ms measurement may only be on 1 single transition.

A good example of this is the above linked review which shows sub 1ms 80% measurements which exclude the time taken to adjust for overshoot. it also shows the incredibly high level of overshoot across over half the other transitions, which will result in horrible inverse ghosting aka overshoot as also shown in the rtings logo test associated to that particular overdrive setting.

i would highley suggest u only consider monitors that have been thoroughly tested and reviewed by places like rtings.com and tftcentral.co.uk . They both use different testing methods so results shouldnt be directly compared across both sites, at least without first understanding the difference.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

i would highley suggest u only consider monitors that have been thoroughly tested and reviewed by places like rtings.com and tftcentral.co.uk . They both use different testing methods so results shouldnt be directly compared across both sites, at least without first understanding the difference.

Thanks SolarNova, I am aware regarding the 1ms (there was also LTT review about it) and I love rtings.com that's my go to site for monitors (/TVs).

They did give the monitor a great rating and a very good review, don't you agree?

Can you recommend another monitor? (IPS or VA)

23 minutes ago, tanffn said:

Thanks SolarNova, I am aware regarding the 1ms (there was also LTT review about it) and I love rtings.com that's my go to site for monitors (/TVs).

They did give the monitor a great rating and a very good review, don't you agree?

Can you recommend another monitor? (IPS or VA)

For better dark performance at the expensive of HDR, & slower pixel response, since its a VA, but a VA with respectiable dark transition handling at least.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

if one wants to consider a TN 1080p 240hz panel then the

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/hp/omen-x-25f

has a surprisingly uniform image for a TN panel and a high frequency panel at that.

Consider looking at tftcentral.co.uk for reviews on monitors that rtings may not have. You cant really compare a review their to rtings since they use a different testing method, especially in terms of pixel response since they use a 10% to 90% data point therefor excluding overshoot, rather than a 0% to 100% data point that includes overshoot duration like rtings. But its still a good resource, they just dont have a good filter and search tool, so u have to know what monitor u want to find test results for rather than being able to filter through all results.

NOTE: rtings review score, especially the 'picture quality' score for monitors, leans on 20% of its total score being based on viewing angles, as such IPS is heavily favored. try to rely on individual results rather than overall score or 'picture quality' score.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

8 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

For more quality at the expensive of slower pixel response, since its a VA, but a VA with respectiable dark transition handling at least.

has a surprisingly uniform image for a TN panel and a high frequency panel at that.

Consider looking at tftcentral.co.uk for reviews on monitors that rtings may not have. You cant really compare a review their to rtings since they use a different testing method, especially in terms of pixel response since they use a 10% to 90% data point therefor excluding overshoot, rather than a 0% to 100% data point that includes overshoot duration like rtings. But its still a good resource, they just dont have a good filter and search tool, so u have to know what monitor u want to find test results for rather than being able to filter through all results.

I can't have anything bigger than 27" and I need those pixels (work) and care about the viewing angle (media + work, hate the color shift).

Why are you against LG 27GL83A-B? for it's price (~350usd) it seems good! no?

I'll look at tftcentral.co.uk as well.

4 minutes ago, tanffn said:

Why are you against LG 27GL83A-B? for it's price (~350usd) it seems good! no?

Im not for nor against it. havnt mentioned it in fact.

i havnt mentioned (beyond being included in 'they' when talking about response time)it becouse i cant find a competent thorough review of it.

ill never recommend  a monitor based on its advertised specs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 9:51 AM, SolarNova said:

For better dark performance at the expensive of HDR, & slower pixel response, since its a VA, but a VA with respectiable dark transition handling at least.

NOTE: rtings review score, especially the 'picture quality' score for monitors, leans on 20% of its total score being based on viewing angles, as such IPS is heavily favored. try to rely on individual results rather than overall score or 'picture quality' score.

tftcentral.co.uk has a brief mention of it on their site for the monitor in question. Have a look. I just made the purchase today (and thought the follow-up might still be useful to you guys!)

I am looking at those two monitors, I am thinking to get LG 27GL850-B because of the 98% DCI-P3. It is also on sale right now.