Unraid AMD iGPU passthrough

Ernie11

Hello Everyone,

I have an Unraid system but want to pass through the iGPU to a Linux Mint VM. I have been struggling with this for about a week now. The VM works fine on VNC but when I change the graphics card to the iGPU it doesnt display anything on the monitor and after about 5 seconds breaks the disk1 (which is where the VM is). I then have to reconstruct the disk for it to be added again to the array. Has anyone been able to do this pass through before? After turning ACS override on almost everything is in its own IOMMU group. I dont plan on adding another GPU to the system if I dont need to. Any help or guides will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

System:

M/B: ASRock B450 Pro4
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version P3.10. Dated: 03/07/2019
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics @ 3500 MHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 384 KiB, 2048 KiB, 4096 KiB
Memory: 16 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 256 GiB)
Kernel: Linux 4.19.56-Unraid x86_64

I've never tried passing though integrated graphics but if it's in its own IOMMU group it should be fine.

Recently I passed though a dGPU to a VM using QEMU. I don't know what automatic features UnRAID has implemented to override the default GPU driver which allows it to be passed though but being an iGPU I wonder if that has anything to do with it. It's important the default GPU driver is not loaded or else the pass-though will fail.

Are you able to pass-though other devices? You said IOMMU is enabled but did you verify it's enabled in both the OS (amd_iommu=on) & BIOS (Auto -> Enabled)? If not that could be the issue.

I don't know if the 2200G has more than one NUMA node but if it does there may be a setting in the BIOS where NUMA node #0 is allowed to use IOMMU but NUMA node #1 is not. I ran into this issue on Threadripper as the dGPU I wanted to pass-through was connected to NUMA node #1.

Take these suggestions with a grain of salt. I've not worked with UnRAID. These suggestions were with GPU pass-through on QEMU_system on Ubuntu 19.04.

EDIT:

Also I'm pretty sure you're a little off here.

Memory: 16 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 256 GiB)

From the manufacturer website:

- Max. capacity of system memory: 64GB**

That isn't 64GB per slot that's 64GB overall. The board/CPU doesn't support registered/buffered memory. You'd have a heck of a hard time finding 64GB UDIMM modules. This isn't a server platform. Max it can handle are 16GB ECC UDIMM sticks.

Hello,

I looked into what you said and Im still unable to pass through the iGPU. I have actually gotten errors on my vdisk and each time that happens it corrupts my storage disk and I have to rebuild the whole disk to add it again to the array. Takes about 7 hours to rebuild the disk.

When I choose the iGPU the screen flashes but then goes dead. Then about 10 seconds later the vdisk corrupts. So its like it tries to takeover the iGPU but then corrupts. I do notice that my Unraid terminal doesnt show anymore after that either. Im guessing not even Unraid has connection to the iGPU after that.

Any other ideas? Im not sure anymore if its that Unraid doesnt want to let go of the iGPU or if something goes wrong when the VM tries to get the iGPU for himself. I have checked BIOS but I cant find anything else I need to change. In the VM before I assign the iGPU to it I download the drives (the standard ones downloaded by Linux Mint) and vulkan.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a bad time as well, but no corruption issues so not as bad as you

My setup was working as I wanted it to but while diagnosing some problems I updated my bios (asus 370 prime) and now the system *will not* pass though any gpu to a VM

It seems like this is a thing for AMD boards