XFX RX 5700 Problems or Just Early Drivers?

MichaelH

Hello. I have purchased the RX 5700 from XFX. I am pretty excited about this card and what it has to offer. I don't know if I have an issue with the card or not because I know the drivers are so new with them just being released. I am encountering frame rate issues in Battlefield V and Far Cry 5. Afterburner shows that the GPU clock speed and memory clock speeds are lower that what they should be. The attached photos show the frame rate and clockspeed issues as well as the power draw of the GPU being oddly low. (Is the power usage suppose to be higher, like 150 watts?) In Far Cry 5, vsync on results in a capped 30FPS on all quality presets even though my monitor is 60Hz and trying to framelock at 60FPS results in 30FPS cap. When I turn off vsync I can reach 60FPS, but with screen tearing. Battlefield V offers a similar situation. Also, while on my desktop I notice stuttering and using testufo.com (see attached picture) the display can't even reach 60FPS. Even watching YouTube videos results in stuttering and the audio becoming off. I am upgrading from a GTX 1060 6GB and I have never encountered these issues. Again, I know that these drivers are new and the card is in its infancy, but is this something that will be fixed as a result of matured drivers or is there something wrong with my card? I appreciate your feedback. 

Specs:

R5 1600 - stock

XFX RX 5700 - stock

16GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz

Asrock AB350M - BIOS up to date

WD Black NVME 512GB - OS Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

EVGA 850 G3 PSU

GPU driver: 26.20.13001.9005

Windows 10 Version 1903

5700.1.png

5700.2.png

5700.png

,, GPU driver: 26.20.13001.9005 ''
Newest driver is 19.7.1 and the only that supports new RXes. Or you have wrong driver or you found wrong number. Drivers currently suck. I have a lot of problems with my 5700XT. Black Ops 4 doesn't work at all, will freeze my entire PC after playing it for 15 minutes. Any overclocking of the card will crash the driver, UV works fine on the other hand. Vsync also caps the fps at half the refresh rate of my monitor which is 38 fps (75hz), so that's another bug. There are also many bugs when you minimalize game, Wattman is crashing each time I minimalize a game or Alt+Tab, I also have some water glitches in Wolfenstein 2. Everyone has problems with GPU usage and clocks. Something is definitely wrong with your clock. At 98% usage you should be definitely above 1300MHz. Try reinstalling drivers. Also clean windows install would also help you. This is new card, new architecture and first working driver for this card, that's why there are so many issues. Some of my games run perfectly at 1440p/4k like Wildlands, Dying Light, DOOM, Witcher, Metro but some doesn't work at all like BLOPS4.

There is also an issue with much higher VRAM usage on these card than nvidia counterparts, propably memory leak. R9 Fury had similiar problem. Black Ops 3 at max settings uses around 7800MBs of VRAM. I could run it perfectly on 1080 maxed out. On 5700XT I was getting stuttering due to not enough vram lol. I had to lower textures a bit and shadows, I'm getting over 200fps in that game on that card. Still consumes much more VRAM than it should. As I said you should reinstall whole windows, drivers and don't touch anything in the wattman, don't install any monitoring programs like afterburner (I heard it causes some problems too), Corsair link has some issues with new ryzen cpus. Do it and just play the game on stock settings, see if it run better and wait for new drivers

On 7/14/2019 at 3:20 AM, MichaelH said:

Hello. I have purchased the RX 5700 from XFX. I am pretty excited about this card and what it has to offer. I don't know if I have an issue with the card or not because I know the drivers are so new with them just being released. I am encountering frame rate issues in Battlefield V and Far Cry 5. Afterburner shows that the GPU clock speed and memory clock speeds are lower that what they should be. The attached photos show the frame rate and clockspeed issues as well as the power draw of the GPU being oddly low. (Is the power usage suppose to be higher, like 150 watts?) In Far Cry 5, vsync on results in a capped 30FPS on all quality presets even though my monitor is 60Hz and trying to framelock at 60FPS results in 30FPS cap. When I turn off vsync I can reach 60FPS, but with screen tearing. Battlefield V offers a similar situation. Also, while on my desktop I notice stuttering and using testufo.com (see attached picture) the display can't even reach 60FPS. Even watching YouTube videos results in stuttering and the audio becoming off. I am upgrading from a GTX 1060 6GB and I have never encountered these issues. Again, I know that these drivers are new and the card is in its infancy, but is this something that will be fixed as a result of matured drivers or is there something wrong with my card? I appreciate your feedback. 

Specs:

R5 1600 - stock

XFX RX 5700 - stock

EVGA 850 G3 PSU

Windows 10 Version 1903

5700.1.png

5700.2.png

5700.png

Hi I have the sapphire 5700, ryzen 2600, 16gb 3000mhz Patriot ram, Corsair 650 psu and ASRock b450 pro mobo I use a 144hz freesync monitor and have issues with core clock constantly changing tops out just over 1700mhz and can downclock to 900mhz sometimes causing stuttering and a horrid gameplay experience gpu usage all over the place aswel. I've tried pushing the card too it's limits maxing graphics to try keep a stable core clock with no luck. The only game I've got working silky smooth is Apex maxed out with a near solid gpu and core clock usage but all other games play like crap. Quite annoyed coz my previous Vega 56 worked like a charm and also tried my Bros rtx 2060 with no issues. I hope it is driver related because it's a horrid experience right now.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:20 AM, MichaelH said:

Specs:

R5 1600 - stock

XFX RX 5700 - stock

EVGA 850 G3 PSU

Windows 10 Version 1903

5700.1.png

5700.2.png

5700.png

I just tried BF5 on my 5700XT and it runs great. Pretty much all time above 130fps at maxed out settings. Core clock above 1800MHz all time and very smooth experience.

bf5.png

8 minutes ago, patent122 said:

I just tried BF5 on my 5700XT and it runs great. Pretty much all time above 130fps at maxed out settings. Core clock above 1800MHz all time and very smooth experience.

bf5.png

So, are you thinking it's driver-related then? I just bought the RX 5700 and am really hoping I don't run into any issues like poor OP lol. I also don't overclock anything so I'm hoping to just install the newest drivers and be on my way lol. sending tots and pears OP

1 hour ago, crippchip said:

So, are you thinking it's driver-related then? I just bought the RX 5700 and am really hoping I don't run into any issues like poor OP lol. I also don't overclock anything so I'm hoping to just install the newest drivers and be on my way lol. sending tots and pears OP

Propably drivers. Some people have issues, some not. I think next update will fix it.

12 minutes ago, patent122 said:

Propably drivers. Some people have issues, some not. I think next update will fix it.

Any idea when that update will come out? And iirc, I have to uninstall my NVidia drivers and install the correct amd drivers when i put the new graphic card in, right?

2 hours ago, crippchip said:

Any idea when that update will come out? And iirc, I have to uninstall my NVidia drivers and install the correct amd drivers when i put the new graphic card in, right?

I have no idea. I hope ASAP. I managed to fix most of the issues I had with this card. The best way to use it so far is to apply UV with small clock decrease. You won't lose any performance, I think I lost only 100points in fire strike but card will run much cooler and quieter. I changed 2029Mhz/1200mV to 1900Mhz/1010mV. Overclocking works strange right now, it's hard to explain, don't do it. I learnt how it works and got 10% more FPS which is pretty big boost but I need different cooler to play games with OC. I played Battlefield 5 for 2 hours and it worked great. I had some stutter at beginning but that was propably due to HDD drive, it stopped later. My clock was around 1800MHz all the time, no GPU usage drops etc. Ghost Recon Wildlands runs great also.
My only issues left with this card are that FPS counter sometimes randomly disappear from AMD monitoring, game crash will most likely crash entire GPU driver causing black screen and HDMI lost connection and BO4 constant PC freezes, I'm redownloading the entire game, I hope it'll work this time.
I have 0 problems with BF5, you shoudn't have them too. Also run the game at DX12, it runs much better.

8 hours ago, M4rv said:

Hi I have the sapphire 5700, ryzen 2600, 16gb 3000mhz Patriot ram, Corsair 650 psu and ASRock b450 pro mobo I use a 144hz freesync monitor and have issues with core clock constantly changing tops out just over 1700mhz and can downclock to 900mhz sometimes causing stuttering and a horrid gameplay experience gpu usage all over the place aswel. I've tried pushing the card too it's limits maxing graphics to try keep a stable core clock with no luck. The only game I've got working silky smooth is Apex maxed out with a near solid gpu and core clock usage but all other games play like crap. Quite annoyed coz my previous Vega 56 worked like a charm and also tried my Bros rtx 2060 with no issues. I hope it is driver related because it's a horrid experience right now.

There's known issue with GPU and clock usage dropping when there isn't much stress on the GPU. Increasing resolution and graphics usually solve this problem. However BF5 runs for me in 150fps at 1080p. Idk it's strange, we have to survive on this poor driver

3 hours ago, crippchip said:

Yes uninstall old drivers with DDU, turn off PC, put in new card and download AMD drivers. However you should also reinstall windows to get rid of all nvidia files on your PC, this took me 15 minutes. Just copy all games and important programs to other disk.

Yep, plenty of driver issues, and I'm running into them.

I can't play any game at all, it'll crash either whilst loading or as soon as you actually get into the game, and the AMD forums are pretty full of people running into similar issues, and for many uninstalling with DDU and grabbing the latest drivers isn't helping.

Thankfully there's a 30 day return policy in the UK given I bought directly from AMD, so I'll likely return it and spend the extra money on a 2070 Super

I also get the gpu spikes which is causing huge fraps drop, pub g the gpu core clocks up and down constantly causing stutter, I can get Apex to play flawlessly and also world war z both over 100fps. I've done a clean ddu wipe and popped in my Vega 56 with no issues at all so hope fully it's driver related I'm gonna wait it out for future drivers bit disappointed really as I was really excited for the new navi gpus 

What's funny any reviewer didn't say a word about these problems. Did they really test these cards or the just launched 1 game for 5 minutes, check fps and then another game.

I have tried the games above for hours and hours I've even brought a new msi gaming plus motherboard thinking it was my motherboard and with the new motherboard fresh windows 10 install still have the exact same issues, I've also tried the new drivers that just came out still same issue. This is what I have found playing with settings in each game, Apex legends if I run everything on ultra 1080p I get well over 100fps huge gpu spikes going from 100% right down to 5% this happens randomly and it also shows a huge spike at the Same time with core clock dropping to as low as 600mhz and the power draw drops from say 140w to say 5w but if I leave every setting on ultra and just drop think it's called sun spot shadows from ultra to high the game plays flawlessly with 0 spike or drop outs. Pubg on ultra spikes intermittently every couple of seconds and vikendi is awful and blackops 4 on ultra some maps play flawless and other maps are unplayable with constant spikes not matter what settings you choose. World war z played ok but I only tried the vulkan settings on ultra. I've even tried upping the resolution scale which does help but still get the spikes. I don't know what to do send the card back as I don't know if it's drivers or my card??? It's so frustrating because I've not had a decent gaming session since I've owned this card and I'm slowly losing faith in it.

38 minutes ago, M4rv said:

I have tried the games above for hours and hours I've even brought a new msi gaming plus motherboard thinking it was my motherboard and with the new motherboard fresh windows 10 install still have the exact same issues, I've also tried the new drivers that just came out still same issue. This is what I have found playing with settings in each game, Apex legends if I run everything on ultra 1080p I get well over 100fps huge gpu spikes going from 100% right down to 5% this happens randomly and it also shows a huge spike at the Same time with core clock dropping to as low as 600mhz and the power draw drops from say 140w to say 5w but if I leave every setting on ultra and just drop think it's called sun spot shadows from ultra to high the game plays flawlessly with 0 spike or drop outs. Pubg on ultra spikes intermittently every couple of seconds and vikendi is awful and blackops 4 on ultra some maps play flawless and other maps are unplayable with constant spikes not matter what settings you choose. World war z played ok but I only tried the vulkan settings on ultra. I've even tried upping the resolution scale which does help but still get the spikes. I don't know what to do send the card back as I don't know if it's drivers or my card??? It's so frustrating because I've not had a decent gaming session since I've owned this card and I'm slowly losing faith in it.

I still haven't fixed Black Ops 4 issue, looks like entire windows is having conflicts with AMD drivers, doesn't allow it to make changes in registry and making it crash. I'm so tired of this bs. I did everything I could so far to fix this and nothing worked, I did everything... One last chance, I'm actually installing windows 7 right now to see it I can finally play this game without driver crash for once in totally different OS. You can go into event viewer and check if you have any driver errors

If I won't fix this crap I'm refunding the card. I payed 400$ to play games not to fight with drivers for entire week. I could stay with my 1080... DIdn't have single issue with that card, ran perfectly undervolted. I sold it because warranty was over, if win7 won't do the tick then I'll grab 2060 Ssuper, normal 2070 or even another used 1080 Strix or Gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing sound issues with the RX 5700 XT. For what it's worth, when I noticed I had errors in Event Viewer for PCIe bus errors, so I unplugged my PCIe sound card and temporarily switched to my motherboard's sound. This "solved" the issue for me. It seems that the RX 5700 XT somehow interferes with my PCIe sound card (ASUS Xonar SE). I will update with more information as I debug, but I hope this is useful for some users running in to these same issues (particularly those coming here via google finding the errors with YouTube videos).

I suspect this is due to the PCIe 4.0 usage by the 5700 XT, so I am on a call with ASUS customer support to try disabling PCIe 4.0 as a debugging step.

Best of luck, and I'll update when I know more.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, patent122 said:

If I won't fix this crap I'm refunding the card. I payed 400$ to play games not to fight with drivers for entire week. I could stay with my 1080... DIdn't have single issue with that card, ran perfectly undervolted. I sold it because warranty was over, if win7 won't do the tick then I'll grab 2060 Ssuper, normal 2070 or even another used 1080 Strix or Gaming.

So I bought my RX 5700 and have been posting around to any thread regarding the new cards. I'm not sure if this is the case with the XTs, BUT... I did manage to figure out that the Auto-Installer had a bug. I had tons of issues with everything on my PC when I used the auto installer. I just went into Windows Uninstaller and got rid of everything AMG, then went to AMD's website and just re-downloaded ONLY the AMD settings. I didn't touch the auto-installer and now everything works just peachy.

Hi guys so I found a fix for my rx5700 I previously had the stutter, gpu spikes, inconsistent core clock and basically every game was unplayable and I was ready to send this card back I tried everything and tonight I thought I would uninstall my third party anti virus which was bullguard and restarted my pc and BAM the rx5700 is working flawlessly no gpu spike no stutter and everygame is running perfect. If you have a third part anti virus try uninstalling it restart your pc and let me know if this is the fix.

The only issue I have come across is black ops 4 has a memory leak so i have to drop my textures to high setting but the uninstalling the third party anti virus has totally fixed the issues for me.

Ok people, I have some updates. I tried my brother's 1080p 60Hz AOC monitor with his HDMI cable and everything worked good. No problems. My next step was to try his HDMI cable with my monitor. I have an LG Ultrawide 60Hz (2560x1080). Once I tried his cable, everything returned to the previous behavior with stutters and not being able to hold 60Hz on the desktop and in games. With this new information, I would think that my monitor is having an issue, but I will try other tests. (Note: my monitor's drivers are up to date and my GPU drivers are up to date with 19.7.5). I got my laptop out (2019 ASUS Zenbook) and used both HDMI cables that I used previously to connect to my Ultrawide and it worked perfectly. This is kinda odd. So the stuttering and GPU dips only happen to my Ultrawide when it is connected to my Desktop with the RX 5700. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks everyone!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 6:39 PM, MichaelH said:

Ok people, I have some updates. I tried my brother's 1080p 60Hz AOC monitor with his HDMI cable and everything worked good. No problems. My next step was to try his HDMI cable with my monitor. I have an LG Ultrawide 60Hz (2560x1080). Once I tried his cable, everything returned to the previous behavior with stutters and not being able to hold 60Hz on the desktop and in games. With this new information, I would think that my monitor is having an issue, but I will try other tests. (Note: my monitor's drivers are up to date and my GPU drivers are up to date with 19.7.5). I got my laptop out (2019 ASUS Zenbook) and used both HDMI cables that I used previously to connect to my Ultrawide and it worked perfectly. This is kinda odd. So the stuttering and GPU dips only happen to my Ultrawide when it is connected to my Desktop with the RX 5700. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks everyone!

I have the exact same problem on my 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide. 

It's definitely a problem specific to the 5700 xt because if I pop in my RX 580, without even changing the drivers, it works perfectly. My 5700 xt also works fine on my 4k tvs and monitor. It ONLY has trouble on my main ultrawide. 

I ended up just buying a 144Hz freesync monitor. As much as I love my ultrawide, it is getting old and I cant stand this problem anymore. On the bright side, the new monitor is holding up great.