Windows Boot Menu Missing Elements

Dr Zaza
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

That's because Windows is installed in Legacy mode, not UEFI mode.

You're probably not going to like this but to fix this issue you're gonna need to reinstall Windows.

So windows was being a bit buggy and there weren't any updates so I went to the startup settings to do a system restore. When I got there I noticed a ton of options were missing and couldn't find any other posts about this issue. The first three images are what I should see and the fourth and fifth are the things that I actually see. It may be worth mentioning that I can initiate a system restore (which I used but it didn't fix anything) and reset my PC while in windows but not in the boot menu. I'm not quite sure as to what I should do and that's why I'm here, thanks for your help.

Motherboard: Dell 0KWVT8

CPU: i7-4790 (non k)

RAM: Hynix 2x4GB PC3-12800u DDR3- 1600MHz

GPU: GTX 1050ti

PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600w

SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB (Boot Device)

SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB

HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX-75M2NAO

Image 1.PNG

Image 2.PNG

Image 3.PNG

Image 4.jpg

Image 5.jpg

That's because Windows is installed in Legacy mode, not UEFI mode.

You're probably not going to like this but to fix this issue you're gonna need to reinstall Windows.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What "bit buggy" means for you? Why you don't want to solve real problem instead of reinstalling system?

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

What "bit buggy" means for you? Why you don't want to solve real problem instead of reinstalling system?

Interesting that yet again you're here shit slinging other people's answers without offering any solution yourself.

It's very simple, the missing options are because Windows is INSTALLED in the wrong mode. The only way to fix this is by changing mode and reinstalling Windows in the correct mode. There is no way to change a legacy Install to a UEFI install without reinstalling that I know of.

If you know that to be false please provide the solution otherwise shut up and go away because your post offered nothing of value to anybody.

Btw if the system is installed in UEFI mode you can swap between legacy and UEFI with no problems, if it's installed in Legacy mode you cannot because of MBR Vs GPT.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Of course that there is method to change legacy to uefi, you can find many tutorials.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

(...) otherwise shut up and go away because your post offered nothing of value to anybody.

Shut up yourself if you can't read with understanding - OP complains about missing options because for some reason he wants to reinstall Windows to fix some real problems (missing options is only secondary problem). I'm just asking what his main problems are - maybe they're easy to fix without reinstalling. You're for sure a disaster.

BTW. That missing option he wants to use gives him nothing without recovery pratition. So even if he reinstall Windows in UEFI mode, that is not enough to made this option work.

Just checked system information and the BIOS Mode is UEFI and not Legacy

5 minutes ago, Dr Zaza said:

Just checked system information and the BIOS Mode is UEFI and not Legacy

Some BIOS-es have no just "legacy" mode, but "UEFI" or "UEFI+legacy". But regardless - if you have no system recovery partition, you cannot recover your system. Anyway, if your system still works, tell us what is wrong and maybe we can help with that "buggy" problem.

if you have no system recovery partition, you cannot recover your system.

Yeah, I couldn't reset it. The bugs was that none of the media keys or the windows key was working while in AOT Wings of Freedom, I was able to in the past but can't anymore on my desktop or laptop. I would like to fix this windows boot issue first however, could I use my laptop to copy the OS over with Samsung Magician or another software?

Edit- missed your thing on changing legacy to UEFI, I'm gonna try that first

Sorry, I don't quite get it. Everything seems to be set for UEFI. The disks are partitioned in the GUID Partition table, the BIOS mode is set to UEFI and in the actual bios Legacy is disabled.

image.png.80dd1d72892e4b0ef1bc912c63a59668.png

image.png.7a296eddd379427dfbd25f7e3d23137f.png20190609_135543.thumb.jpg.581809b800869b78499e6a832c90749d.jpg

Well, seems that everything is ok with your boot, it's in UEFI mode. About function or media keys - they not working in one game only? On both - desktop and laptop? What media keys?