constant crackling/popping sounds when there is audio!!

Delta296

What happens is that whenever there is audio or any type of sound on my computer such as playing a video on youtube, windows startup sounds etc. ANY sound. There is constant popping or crackling sounds and stops whenever the sound is gone, so whenever I'd play a video, a game, that'd mean it wouldn't stop until I'd close the application...

So recently this issue has occurred and I have tried many ways to fix this:

- reinstalling drivers of headset

- reinstalling audio drives

- disabled audio enhancements

- dusting out my pc (getting desperate)

I have also attached an audio file.

The initial sound of is the test sound from headphone properties under '1 channel, 16 bit, 48000Hz (DVD quality), sounds normal however its 1 channel and audio only comes out from the left but there is no issue..(don't want that type of channel)

In the last few sounds, I changed over to the default channel which is the one I always used and had no problems with: --> 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000Hz (DVD quality). Which is where you can hear the popping and crackling of course. 

If there is some kind of solution it would be great!

Don't think its the headphones because It also happened to my wired headphones, using wireless, changing it over again and didn't make a difference. 

SPECS:

I7 8700K

16GB HYPER X RAM

RTX 2080 MSI GEFORCE

Z370-F ASUS

HXi 850W Corsair

audio prob.m4a

Have you tried your headphones on other devices?

Have you tried using external speakers to see if the problem persists? 

Is there a source of electromagnetic interference close nearby, like a mobile phone, wifi router, or something similar?

Is your CPU, RAM or GPU heavily overclocked?

I've also come across cases where changing the audio sampling rate to 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz has solved audio interference issues.

This sounds like it could be a driver issue.  I have a problem on my laptop with the wifi driver causing issues and makes popping/crackling sounds like I'm listening to an old record when the network is active and sound is playing.  Grab DPC Latency Checker and see if you're getting any red spikes.  If so, this is probably your issue.  If not, it's probably something else.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This sounds like it could be a driver issue.  I have a problem on my laptop with the wifi driver causing issues and makes popping/crackling sounds like I'm listening to an old record when the network is active and sound is playing.  Grab DPC Latency Checker and see if you're getting any red spikes.  If so, this is probably your issue.  If not, it's probably something else.

Hey! thanks for the fast reply and help regardless and yes i've downloaded DPC and it was all green and good. 

I've pretty much googled solutions for the past few hours, nothing but stress.

5 minutes ago, Delta296 said:

Hey! thanks for the fast reply and help regardless and yes i've downloaded DPC and it was all green and good. 

I've pretty much googled solutions for the past few hours, nothing but stress.

I'm wondering if it might even be an electrical issue and not software based at all.  If you fired up something like an Ubuntu Live USB and still have the issue, it would give that theory a fair bit of credence I think.  Have you always had this issue on this machine or did it just show up recently?

wait nvm just remembered you said it happens even with wireless headphones....

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

24 minutes ago, SammyV said:

Have you tried your headphones on other devices?

Have you tried using external speakers to see if the problem persists? 

Is there a source of electromagnetic interference close nearby, like a mobile phone, wifi router, or something similar?

Is your CPU, RAM or GPU heavily overclocked?

I've also come across cases where changing the audio sampling rate to 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz has solved audio interference issues.

Yes I've tried wired/wireless, speakers and such.

In terms of electromagnetic interference, the wifi-router is quite the distance and the only thing closest is probably a mobile phone which didn't change a thing. 

As for CPU, RAM and GPU, no they're stock speeds.

And for the sampling rate, 1 Channel works fine but obviously not ideal and as for the rest of 2 channel audio they have the same issue but different tones. (still crackling/popping regardless). 

Try try unchecking "allow applications to take exclusive control" for the device. Also check that no enhancements are enabled on them, some windows 10 updates recently caused those to be enabled for a couple of my devices and caused similar problems. 
image.png.8e58c97b8375810dc262f0443b3301a9.png
image.png.79b63ee960955a20c0fe0a376c80185a.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

Try try unchecking "allow applications to take exclusive control" for the device. Also check that no enhancements are enabled on them, some windows 10 updates recently caused those to be enabled for a couple of my devices and caused similar problems. 

DId unchecking that before however can't find the enhancement properties unless I go Razer synapse which is already disabled. 

DId unchecking that before however can't find the enhancement properties unless I go Razer synapse which is already disabled. 

That option just depends on the device I think. I thought exclusive control might be it when I read that it was affected by what app is open but your were more talking about it going as long as sound was playing, I misread. Hmm. I just listened to the attachment and neither of my suggestions would cause a sound like that anyway- more of like an occasional crackle. Is this on all devices or some of them? If you're not sure, try running audio through one of your screens if you can- uses an entirely different audio device. Also what exact device is this playing the audio? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

That option just depends on the device I think. I thought exclusive control might be it when I read that it was affected by what app is open but your were more talking about it going as long as sound was playing, I misread. Hmm. I just listened to the attachment and neither of my suggestions would cause a sound like that anyway- more of like an occasional crackle. Is this on all devices or some of them? If you're not sure, try running audio through one of your screens if you can- uses an entirely different audio device. Also what exact device is this playing the audio? 

Okay so pretty much on whatever device I have and can use; speakers, another headset etc. Using a razer nari wireless headset, old headset was wired razer kraken, also had same issues. However on a different PC with my old headset, works fine. 

Your display (Optix MAG27QC) has an audio jack, plug in speakers or headset to that and then change the default audio device to that display. Does the crackling still happen?

15 minutes ago, Delta296 said:

If this is any help..somehow..

123.JPG

13 minutes ago, Delta296 said:

Okay so pretty much on whatever device I have and can use; speakers, another headset etc. Using a razer nari wireless headset, old headset was wired razer kraken, also had same issues. However on a different PC with my old headset, works fine. 

Ok so it looks like the Razer one uses a USB transceiver for the wireless, and that's going to be different than the other headphones you plugged straight in, so it seems one device is not the problem, and we can likely move on the that panel entirely. 
I'm looking for sultions, but try this in the meantime, really thorwing shit at it right now-

Try going into your power settings, edit your plan, advanced, and put the minimum CPU state to 100% see what that does (and change it back when your'e done obviously)
image.png.0e0eb966b543a0bb05af26edd6ddf7a2.png
I've actually had a problem related to this at one point. Fairly low chance to solve it, but see what happens. 

edit

Also after this, hard restart your computer- like full restart, regular shutdown isn't actually a full reset anymore unless you disabled fast starrtup so choose restart if you haven't done this already. Might as well. 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Ok so it looks like the Razer one uses a USB transceiver for the wireless, and that's going to be different than the other headphones you plugged straight in, so it seems one device is not the problem, and we can likely move on the that panel entirely. 
I'm looking for sultions, but try this in the meantime, really thorwing shit at it right now-

Try going into your power settings, edit your plan, advanced, and put the minimum CPU state to 100% see what that does (and change it back when your'e done obviously)
image.png.0e0eb966b543a0bb05af26edd6ddf7a2.png
I've actually had a problem related to this at one point. Fairly low chance to solve it, but see what happens. 

Don't have that 'minimum processor state' option under the processor power management tab.. 

10 minutes ago, SammyV said:

Your display (Optix MAG27QC) has an audio jack, plug in speakers or headset to that and then change the default audio device to that display. Does the crackling still happen?

No luck unfortunately, also disabled other devices..literally trying anything atm.

Don't have that 'minimum processor state' option under the processor power management tab.. 

alright still looking do that full restart thing I edited in while I look around more. Almost all the problems I've had so far that aren't the above are more about timing and hogging the cpu in an uninterruptible way since windows updates- where one driver isn't the problem, it's being interfered with, but that only happens with that intermittent popping not something like this. 

muh specs 

All parts black

In services.msc (win+r, type "services.msc) restarting "Windows Audio" may be of help, but that's something that a full restart should take care of either way. I have to go to sleep for now, I will check updates to this thread tomorrow. If it really comes down to it and we're not able to fix this, I may be willing to remote in and try solve this myself if you want at some point here if nothing on this thread works out. We'd have to set aside a time that we can both be on a call for a few hours to figure it out. Let me know and if I forget to come back and this thread goes nowhere PM me. This just seems like it sucks, so I'd really like you to have a solution somehow. 

muh specs 

All parts black

17 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

In services.msc (win+r, type "services.msc) restarting "Windows Audio" may be of help, but that's something that a full restart should take care of either way. I have to go to sleep for now, I will check updates to this thread tomorrow. If it really comes down to it and we're not able to fix this, I may be willing to remote in and try solve this myself if you want at some point here if nothing on this thread works out. We'd have to set aside a time that we can both be on a call for a few hours to figure it out. Let me know and if I forget to come back and this thread goes nowhere PM me. This just seems like it sucks, so I'd really like you to have a solution somehow. 

Okay, thanks for the help regardless!

I'll probably give it another try, redownloading the drivers etc.

***UPDATE***

Okay I did redownload a few drivers and now its just the wireless headset that doesn't work properly. Wired works normally, same sample channel etc. Wireless headset is the problem now.. so any ideas?

edit; after a further messing around with audio, and not even touching my pc its fortunately back to normal for now, will keep updated.

On 5/23/2019 at 4:28 AM, Delta296 said:

***UPDATE***

Okay I did redownload a few drivers and now its just the wireless headset that doesn't work properly. Wired works normally, same sample channel etc. Wireless headset is the problem now.. so any ideas?

edit; after a further messing around with audio, and not even touching my pc its fortunately back to normal for now, will keep updated.

Back to normal meaning it happened again? 

Let me know, I probably wont be avaible to help you over a call until monday. 

muh specs 

All parts black