Media Server & NAS

ChaosJ

Hello again LTTians,

So im getting around to putting together an HTPC as well as a dedicated 2 in 1 NAS and Plex Media server in the hope of streaming some 4K content

I've never even thought about server hardware until yesterday and have spent the last 24 hours teaching myself as much as possible.  As of now I have figured that i need the following:

1. A CPU intensive system with enough juice to transcode to 4K (according to plex the CPU would ideally score around 17,000 on cpumark) - My solution is to run a dual Xeon 2680 setup or higher

2. A motherboard with dual Xeon support + ample SATA 3 or SAS ports (ideally 5 each or 8 SAS ports or something close to this split.)  The mobo would also need2 pcie x16s and 2 x8s. I have plans to add a good network card, PCIE Sata expansions, etc.

3. 5x8TB/12TB SAS drives (or SATA)

4.A recommended power supply.

My biggest trouble is finding the right motherboard and could really do with some help... I would 

It's worth noting that if you have a Plex Pass, then Plex can do hardware accelerated transcoding as well. 

Either using a desktop Intel CPU with Quick Sync (generally Haswell or newer), or using an Nvidia GPU - then you don't need dual high core count CPU's for transcoding. 

If you really want to go a dual socket, then you'd be best to go with something with the C612 chipset. Generally something from Supermicro like the X10-DRi is going to be the easiest to get hold of and most affordable. Even though CPU's are often affordable, it can be quite expensive getting a dual socket ATX/E-ATX board. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

3 hours ago, Jarsky said:

It's worth noting that if you have a Plex Pass, then Plex can do hardware accelerated transcoding as well. 

Either using a desktop Intel CPU with Quick Sync (generally Haswell or newer), or using an Nvidia GPU - then you don't need dual high core count CPU's for transcoding. 

If you really want to go a dual socket, then you'd be best to go with something with the C612 chipset. Generally something from Supermicro like the X10-DRi is going to be the easiest to get hold of and most affordable. Even though CPU's are often affordable, it can be quite expensive getting a dual socket ATX/E-ATX board. 

are you sure about GPU transcoding? from what i've read Plex uses little to no GPU transcoding and they recommend a score of 17,000 cpumark for transcoding to 4k. for that basis my research, a dual xeon would be the most cost effective. 

I am still familiarizing myself with the chipset architecture for servers. from what i know, I would need an x79 motherboard to run a xeon e5-2680 or 2680 v2. and i belive that runs on a c602. how different is the c612?

6 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

are you sure about GPU transcoding? from what i've read Plex uses little to no GPU transcoding and they recommend a score of 17,000 cpumark for transcoding to 4k. for that basis my research, a dual xeon would be the most cost effective. 

Yes, but theres debate as to the quality difference at high bitrate between software & hardware transcoding. 

Heres a video about it - the guys just using an old 3770K with a GTX980Ti but really you can use any card that supports hardware x264 encoding which off memory is the 750Ti or newer

6 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

I am still familiarizing myself with the chipset architecture for servers. from what i know, I would need an x79 motherboard to run a xeon e5-2680 or 2680 v2. and i belive that runs on a c602. how different is the c612?

X79 boards are for single CPU's, you need a C602 board for dual socket LGA2011 v1 & v2 CPU's (Socket R). 

The C612 is for dual socket LGA2011-v3 CPU's (Socket R3)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

X79 boards are for single CPU's, you need a C602 board for dual socket LGA2011 v1 & v2 CPU's (Socket R). 

The C612 is for dual socket LGA2011-v3 CPU's (Socket R3)

So, i wasw considering the v3 and v4's but the price multiplies several tiems over. a 2680 v2 costs like 300. and used is much roughly 100. so ill keep looking around and find out what works best but thanks for the great recco, really appreacite the help