What to check when buying a used phone

IAmAndre

Hi

I've seen that shop selling both used and new smartphones. I'm interested in a used Galaxy S8 for around $340 with a guarantee. Now for an extra $25 I can buy a new battery and replace it the old one. I think I'd be good to go with all that but I'm curious to know what else can get old in a smartphone and if there's anything I should test before buying it.

Thanks

Things I check in a used phone:

• Battery life - all you can do is ask about it, really, but if you're going to replace it, shouldn't be an issue
  • Cosmetic defects if any
  • Charging port
  • Camera - check for quality of both rear and front cameras
  • Fingerprint sensor (if the phone has one)

I also find it useful not just for used phones but used products in general, to ask what was the use case, how long it was used for, and what kind of environment it was used in, whether it was used by a smoker, in a household with dogs and/or cats, things like that, because those could also be factors which influence the asking price.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

57 minutes ago, seoz said:
  • Camera - check for quality of both rear and front cameras
  • Fingerprint sensor (if the phone has one)

Do these get altered with time?

58 minutes ago, seoz said:

whether it was used by a smoker, in a household with dogs and/or cats,

How does smoking affect the phone? As for animals I think you are referring to cosmetic alterations?

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Do these get altered with time?

Not in my experience, I just think checking the camera quality is good to determine if there are any camera defects. Same goes for the fingerprint sensor if there are any sort of scratches or dirt inside, could affect your experience with it, not to mention that it's downright unsanitary if there's still a bunch of skin oils from the previous user.

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

How does smoking affect the phone? As for animals I think you are referring to cosmetic alterations?

Smoking can leave a particularly repulsive smell on some products. As for animals, it can come under cosmetic alterations.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches