Looking for a new 144Hz Monitor

QRCodeKiller

I'm currently looking to upgrade my monitor to a 144Hz monitor that is rather on the entry side. I'm not a hardcore player and I like to have decent colours so I'm choosing to not go TN panel and go VA or IPS panel but currently in my country I cannot find a 27 inch 144Hz IPS panel monitor for rather cheap. I do want a 27 inch monitor and I'd like to try curved but its not a deal breaker.

So far I found 2 monitors that are within my budget

ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ - 27 inch, 144Hz VA panel 1800R curved monitor for $700

ACER XZ271 - 27 inch, 144Hz VA panel 1800R curved monitor for $580

I haven't been able to find many reviews of the Acer monitor and as for the price difference, I'm not sure what benefits the ASUS has over Acer for $120 more. So if someone knows if there is a difference other than RGB the ASUS has, that would be helpful.

Also would like to know is VA panel decent for gaming? I have heard that VA panels inherently have higher response times. So I've heard that due to the high response time, transitions from frame to frame actually can't keep up with 144Hz and is actually closer to 110ish Hz.

VA is fine for gaming, although if you want my opinion 1080p is too low of a resolution for a 27 inch screen and you start getting a screen door effect on it. I would go with a 1440p monitor at that size.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

10 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

VA is fine for gaming, although if you want my opinion 1080p is too low of a resolution for a 27 inch screen and you start getting a screen door effect on it. I would go with a 1440p monitor at that size.

Yes I've thought about that too but most of the games I play are FPS games so I'd rather hope I can get as close to 144Hz with 144FPS as possible. 1440p decreases my fps a bit too much for my liking. I've seen my friends 27 inch 1080p monitor and I thought I'd be fine with it but I haven't seen it or used it long term so I can't say for certain but it looked pretty okay to me.

4 hours ago, QRCodeKiller said:

Also would like to know is VA panel decent for gaming? I have heard that VA panels inherently have higher response times. So I've heard that due to the high response time, transitions from frame to frame actually can't keep up with 144Hz and is actually closer to 110ish Hz

They do have slower response times, but that doesn't affect the monitor's refresh rate.

4 hours ago, Glenwing said:

They do have slower response times, but that doesn't affect the monitor's refresh rate.

Oh so even if the monitor had an average response time of 8ms. I should still be getting the full 144Hz? I thought that if response time was greater than 6.9ms you won't be experiencing full 144Hz as each transition from frame to frame takes 8ms but at 144Hz, each frame is refreshed every 6.9ms. So if each frame refresh is at 8ms instead of 6.9ms, it would be 125Hz.

20 hours ago, QRCodeKiller said:

Oh so even if the monitor had an average response time of 8ms. I should still be getting the full 144Hz? I thought that if response time was greater than 6.9ms you won't be experiencing full 144Hz as each transition from frame to frame takes 8ms but at 144Hz, each frame is refreshed every 6.9ms. So if each frame refresh is at 8ms instead of 6.9ms, it would be 125Hz.

It doesn't work that way, if the transition takes longer than a frame time it will just go to the next frame anyway, it's not like it waits for the previous frame to finish thus slowing down the frame rate or something like that. It will just result in more blurring, which is what you expect from higher response times in the first place.

Most transitions are between similar colors (like dark grey to slightly darker grey), so even if it doesn't make it all the way it's unlikely you'd notice the difference. In a high contrast transition maybe it would take slightly longer than 1 frame to finish, but unless you have multiple high contrast transitions in a row (uncommon) it won't really matter.

@QRCodeKiller have a look at the Gigabyte aurus AD27QD. 1440P 27 inch 144hz IPS HDR400.

fucking love my screen had it since about a week now. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD