New Yamaha rx-v385 receiver on the way, have questions

devastator_x

Ok, so Ive got a brand new Yamaha receiver on the way to replace an aging Pioneer vsx-524.  For the mids/highs I have a pair of Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers and for the low end, a Pioneer sw8-mk2 powered sub.  My room setup is open concept and not able to place surround speakers in the rear at all, hence why there are none.  I currently am using the high level inputs into the sub and then the book shelf speakers are run in parallel off that.  I did that because the sound output on the sub when using the preamp output on the Pioneer was so low, you couldnt hear it over the mids/highs even with the onboard amp at max volume and the receiver sub output maxed out as well.  Wiring into the high level inputs solved this.  Which is going to be better with this Yamaha?  Using the low level preamp?  Or keeping my current wiring setup?  My big concern is dropping the impedance too low since the Daytons are already 4ohm speakers and the Yamaha is set for either 6/8 ohm loads.  Im sure the common answer will be try it out both ways and see which works best.

2 hours ago, devastator_x said:

Ok, so Ive got a brand new Yamaha receiver on the way to replace an aging Pioneer vsx-524.  For the mids/highs I have a pair of Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers and for the low end, a Pioneer sw8-mk2 powered sub.  My room setup is open concept and not able to place surround speakers in the rear at all, hence why there are none.  I currently am using the high level inputs into the sub and then the book shelf speakers are run in parallel off that.  I did that because the sound output on the sub when using the preamp output on the Pioneer was so low, you couldnt hear it over the mids/highs even with the onboard amp at max volume and the receiver sub output maxed out as well.  Wiring into the high level inputs solved this.  Which is going to be better with this Yamaha?  Using the low level preamp?  Or keeping my current wiring setup?  My big concern is dropping the impedance too low since the Daytons are already 4ohm speakers and the Yamaha is set for either 6/8 ohm loads.  Im sure the common answer will be try it out both ways and see which works best.

I would wire it in a way where the receiver isnt exposed to a 4 ohm load, this could burn out the amp/overwork it.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

16 hours ago, Derkoli said:

I would wire it in a way where the receiver isnt exposed to a 4 ohm load, this could burn out the amp/overwork it.

So I broke out the multimeter and with how its currently wired, the receiver is seeing a 10ohm load.  I have some really small 10ohm speakers out in the garage I might be able to wire in to drop the impedance down closer to 6, but Id rather not as I like the current audio mix.  I did a quick test and the 4ohm Dayton plus the 10ohm speaker somehow equalled 5ohms, when it should have equalled 7.. I dunno?  Im probably not going to rewire anything and just leave it how it is, using the 8ohm selection on the new Yamaha.

1 minute ago, devastator_x said:

So I broke out the multimeter and with how its currently wired, the receiver is seeing a 10ohm load.  I have some really small 10ohm speakers out in the garage I might be able to wire in to drop the impedance down closer to 6, but Id rather not as I like the current audio mix.  I did a quick test and the 4ohm Dayton plus the 10ohm speaker somehow equalled 5ohms, when it should have equalled 7.. I dunno?  Im probably not going to rewire anything and just leave it how it is, using the 8ohm selection on the new Yamaha.

Aslong as you get the impedance's pretty close, and dont push the amp to its limits, you should be fine.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

here is a decent explanation on 4 ohm speakers to a 8 ohm receiver

https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

im actually surprised your shelf speakers are 4ohm...majority of house speakers are 6ohm or 8 ohm unless specialty specific for certain amps/receivers

and in all honesty i wouldnt use 10 ohm with 4 ohm unless that receiver has separate amps for the front and back. if they run on the same amp i dont see it performing the best. i would seriously try to get all the speakers at the same ohm eventually that the receiver wants

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

The specs list them as 6ohm, but my digital MM certainly says 4.

When I said 10ohm and 4ohm together, I meant wired in parallel to drop the impedance.  When I do that, the impedance comes out to 5ohms (which somehow defies logic, but I dunno).  Its still too low imo.  If I keep the sub wired in line, going + from receiver to + input on sub amp, then from + input on sub amp to + input on bookshelf, it measures out at 10ohm.  Basically, Im going to keep it the way its currently wired and run it at a 10ohm load, its the safest option.  This whole setup is essentially a 2.0 setup since the sub is running off the same main stereo channels as the mids.

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, circeseye said:

here is a decent explanation on 4 ohm speakers to a 8 ohm receiver

https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

im actually surprised your shelf speakers are 4ohm...majority of house speakers are 6ohm or 8 ohm unless specialty specific for certain amps/receivers

and in all honesty i wouldnt use 10 ohm with 4 ohm unless that receiver has separate amps for the front and back. if they run on the same amp i dont see it performing the best. i would seriously try to get all the speakers at the same ohm eventually that the receiver wants

Yeah i have only 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers, very odd seeing 4 ohm, although dayton make some floor standers and bookshelfs which are 4 ohm.