Mounting fans with zip ties

Yiannis15

Is it okay to mount fans with zip ties? Because in my case I can't install my new fans with screws or rubber mounts they doesn't fit

I've done it before. It ain't pretty, but it works.

What is stopping the screws from fitting?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I got it done without any issues for a fan in the front of my case. The case has vent holes in the bottom front and no fan holes. I zip tied a fan there. Made sure it was tight and snip off the excess zip tie.

How come they don't fit?

If it's the last option, then i guess you have no other choice 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

The holes are to small and the rubber mount doesn't fit and the screws are too short to go all the way to the hole

9 hours ago, Yiannis15 said:

The holes are to small and the rubber mount doesn't fit and the screws are too short to go all the way to the hole

Where are you trying to mount the fans? What case? It seems like you need long fan screws like these: https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-NexXxos-Mounting-Screw-16-pack/dp/B0716L82X8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=long+fan+screws&qid=1549657077&sr=8-4

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, Yiannis15 said:

Is it okay to mount fans with zip ties? Because in my case I can't install my new fans with screws or rubber mounts they doesn't fit

I've done it before your question came to you. It's fine, no problem. the fan won't fall down or fly away, and it won't vibrate.

358297713_FanZipTies.thumb.jpg.dc3e0c5f492ee3836cf46834a5693bb1.jpg

You need more like radiator screws than normal fan screw or fan rubber pins. If you can't get that kind of screws or the ones like @WoodenMarker recommended, use small black zip ties to be stealthy so no one can see if you using zip ties instead of screws.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: