Android studio "Tool Windows" is weird

Sletting
Go to solution Solved by Sletting,

UPDATE*

I am so freaking confused... I reinstalled the program (For the second time today in the span of 2 hours) and now it is working just as intended.
I found out that when i had the first view my program couldn't run either, so it is definetely not a case of just the look being changed.

It works now, i am happy. Thank you for your suggestions! It gave me the last push to keep going at the problem, instead of just letting it rest till tomorrow :D 
image.png.cba240d63c0a2a604dc93bfb6b3e13a8.png

Hi,

I have started to make Android apps, but for some reason my "Tool window" is looking really weird in Android Studio. 
It does not look at all as the tool windows view in their official guide found here: https://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/creating-project 
How do i make it look like it should? It is impossible to figure out the way mine is.
The settings are set to: "View" -> "Tool Windows" -> "Project" and as you can see per my picture "Android" is choosen.

Hope someone can help me with this. 

Thank you and best regards

androidStudio.png.24c4cb2003d0dd0129174188c5c3b573.png

@Dat Guy Really? Have they changed the way it used to look?
See this for reference.

I think the old one is so much easier to get around in. The one I have is very confusing

Android2.png

Are you maybe being confused because there are more folders? The only major difference I can see is that in your environment the packages are being split up into folders (which is pretty normal for a lot of java package IDE stuff). There is probably a preference in the IDE to change that to look more like the example (so it's one folder of com.package.name.here instead of:

com

package

name

here

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

Yes i think it is way more confusing.
For example the folder "res" in the second picture (OLD) has foure folders "drawable", "layout", "mipmap" and "values". That makes it easy for me to open the correct folders and files that is need. In the new it is a mess of all the folders directly under "res". See attached

image.png.dd36c33139a23c436a46181335f2c652.png

I have been programming in Android studio for 1-2 weeks and I now it is possible to have the "OLD" look, because i've worked on projects that look just fine (according to my preference)! 

UPDATE*

I am so freaking confused... I reinstalled the program (For the second time today in the span of 2 hours) and now it is working just as intended.
I found out that when i had the first view my program couldn't run either, so it is definetely not a case of just the look being changed.

It works now, i am happy. Thank you for your suggestions! It gave me the last push to keep going at the problem, instead of just letting it rest till tomorrow :D 
image.png.cba240d63c0a2a604dc93bfb6b3e13a8.png

I think it may have something to do with the Java JDK. I am not sure about this one though, there was an update to my Java right after i re-installed.... 

Maybe you just needed to look for "Compact Middle Packages" setting in "settings" icon. See in the attached screenshot.

Screenshot 2019-01-29 at 9.14.11 PM.png

With that enabled it does get a lot smaller! So thank you for that. Though the problem was in the JDK. I just tried to remove it completely from my system and it looked weird again (As in the beginning of this thread). After installing it again it appears normal (As the guide also shows). 
I found out it couldn't compile either when it had the first view.

But thank you for the suggestion!