Help me with what to upgrade!

Woozkah

Hey, so I have a bit of a question here.

My current rig is an i3 8100 8gb ram and gtx 1060 3gb.

And I've got some spare cash that I've been thinking of throwing at perhaps a new GPU and was thinking of a gtx 1070 ti or a Vega 64 ( probably gtx 1070 ti ).

What I am wondering is, how badly will this bottleneck my pc because of my CPU? Am I still going to see some solid performance improvements over my gtx 1060 3gb?
I want to play modern day games at a stable 60fps on max settings at 1080p, but above that would be cool too as I am planning on upgrading my monitor at some point in the future too.

Or would I see better performance improvements by upgrading my CPU instead, or perhaps more ram?

I've heard and seen so much conflicting information in regards to this.

I've watched some benchmark videos where the i3 8100 is running with a much better card than mine and there's only a slight difference really between it and more powerful CPU's but then I've been told doomsday tales about how awful my CPU is and even how performance can get worse with a better GPU even. 
I'd appreciate some help here, if you could change one thing what would it be to maximize the performance increase?

As a side note, I've already looked through other GPU's too.
And these two are the '' best bang for my buck '' so to speak where I live and what I can afford to spare. So other suggestions won't really help me.

And for CPU's I looked at i5 9600k. I am aware of Ryzen too but I don't want to swap out my motherboard too and it'd be the same prize for a Ryzen 5 2600x anyways ( with the i5 9600k being better regardless ).

But yeah, one part to rule them all!

Which one and how big of a performance boost can I expect?

Thanks for the help!

you'll feel a good bump in performence, but in cpu bound games you'll have a bottleneck. from my personal experience a 8600k (or 9600k, as it is quite simulair) with a 1070 ti is a great combo. Another 8 gigs wouldn't hurt tho, as 8 gigs is minimum these days

What motherboard do you rock? Depending on the chipset a ocable cpu might be a waste. Maybe try to get a 8400 used or new for a decent price. 

And depending when you did your research a 2060 might not have been considered jet, because it launched Tuesday and in most parts of the world is priced around the same as the two cards you mentioned. 

9 minutes ago, Manderis said:

What motherboard do you rock? Depending on the chipset a ocable cpu might be a waste. Maybe try to get a 8400 used or new for a decent price. 

And depending when you did your research a 2060 might not have been considered jet, because it launched Tuesday and in most parts of the world is priced around the same as the two cards you mentioned. 

My motherboard is a gigabyte z370p d3.

The rtx 2060 where I live is about 450 dollars and the gtx 1070 ti is at 500 dollars ( I am rounding it off a bit, I am Swedish not American. )

The gtx 1070 ti looks like it performs a bit better tho?

But like I said, as of right now I am only going to swap one part out.

I will swap out the other stuff that I don't change now later.

The i5 8400 goes for 220 dollars and the i5 9600k for 320 dollars.

1 minute ago, Woozkah said:

My motherboard is a gigabyte z370p d3.

The rtx 2060 where I live is about 450 dollars and the gtx 1070 ti is at 500 dollars ( I am rounding it off a bit, I am Swedish not American. )

The gtx 1070 ti looks like it performs a bit better tho?

But like I said, as of right now I am only going to swap one part out.

I will swap out the other stuff that I don't change now later.

The i5 8400 goes for 220 dollars and the i5 9600k for 320 dollars.

the 1070 ti performs a little bit better, as the 2060 is about 1070-1070 ti performence, but lacks dlss and raytracing if you care about that. how much does a 8600k go for?

and why not look around a bit in germany for example? only the difference in vat and shipping needs to be payed

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the 1070 ti performs a little bit better, as the 2060 is about 1070-1070 ti performence, but lacks dlss and raytracing if you care about that. how much does a 8600k go for?

and why not look around a bit in germany for example? only the difference in vat and shipping needs to be payed

The 8600k goes for 330 dollars.

At that point I'd imagine the i5 9600k would be better?

How much of an improvement would I get with an i5 8400 or i5 9600k vs a rtx 2060 with my i3 8100 tho?

Edit: I could look around a little bit in Germany too I suppose. I doubt that it'd be much cheaper if even that tho.

Stupid taxes :p...

10 minutes ago, Woozkah said:

At that point I'd imagine the i5 9600k would be better?

yep

11 minutes ago, Woozkah said:

How much of an improvement would I get with an i5 8400 or i5 9600k vs a rtx 2060 with my i3 8100 tho?

depends on the game, but a 2060 with a 8100 will give better results over a 8400/9600k 1060 3gb in most games

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

yep

depends on the game, but a 2060 with a 8100 will give better results over a 8400/9600k 1060 3gb in most games

Alright, thanks :).

I actually looked a bit on the 2060 before too, but I noticed that it has less vram.

Isn't 8gb going to be better?
And when I look at the userbenchmark page the gtx 1070 ti is supposedly better? 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4034vs3943

I am not super well read up on this stuff, so perhaps I am missing something?

1 minute ago, Woozkah said:

Alright, thanks :).

I actually looked a bit on the 2060 before too, but I noticed that it has less vram.

Isn't 8gb going to be better?
And when I look at the userbenchmark page the gtx 1070 ti is supposedly better? 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/4034vs3943

I am not super well read up on this stuff, so perhaps I am missing something?

the difference between 6 and 8 gigs isn't that big in gaming. but once again, the difference is small and if you don't care about dlss and raytracing, the 1070 ti will be a great card. if you do, the 2060 will be