G-Sync on FreeSync Monitor Query (XF240H)

Fireflew

Hi guys, I have a double barrelled question to ask regarding the latest Nvidia driver update that allows for G-Sync support on FreeSync monitors.

I have an Acer XF240H monitor (running off a GTX 1080) and Nvidia just announced that the Acer XFA240 is now validated as a G-Sync compatible monitor. As far as I can tell these are the exact same monitor with the only distinction being that the XFA240 is sold in America and the XF240H is sold in Europe/UK (where I am). Here is a comparison of the two monitors:

https://www.productchart.com/monitors/13180_vs_17240

So I was thrilled to see that my monitor was one of the 12 that passed the tests for G-Sync compatibility however after updating to the latest driver and going into the G-Sync section in the control panel I noticed that it states that it is not validated as a G-Sync compatible monitor. Here's a screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/WtEeLxI.png

This seems really odd because from my perspective the only thing separating these monitors is the letters "A" and "H" in the name. Hardware wise they appear to be completely identical. Can anyone clear this up for me because I'm a bit perplexed as to why my monitor isn't being recognised as G-Sync compatible. Anyone have the same monitor who can confirm one way or the other?

The other part of the question is regarding G-Sync functionality itself. With the ability still there to enable G-Sync even without the official validation I've been running a few tests to put it through its paces and see what kind of an improvement it can offer. The results have been pretty vague and it honestly doesn't appear to have made much (or any) kind of a difference. I am not entirely sure what the adaptive sync range is for this monitor but I have a feeling its 40hz-144hz. That being said frame dips of any kind still stutter just as they did using vsync however there are no issues with tearing of any kind. Is there a definitive way of testing G-Sync/FreeSync/adaptive sync to determine if it is working as it should?

I assume vsync should be turned off along with things like triple buffering in order to take advantage of adaptive sync but what about frame rate caps? (currently using a limiter of 120fps in profile inspector). I'd just like to be able to visually identify the difference between the adaptive sync being on or off.

Sorry for the long winded questions and thanks in advance for any replies!

Thanks for replying. The pendulum test is actually what iv'e been using to see if its working or not.

I have also enabled the "G-Sync Compatible Indicator" in the Nvidia Control Panel which does indeed display a G-Sync label on screen when running a full screen game.

Not sure what you mean by display port 1.2, how can I tell if the port i'm using is 1.2?

3 hours ago, Fireflew said:

Thanks for replying. The pendulum test is actually what iv'e been using to see if its working or not.

I have also enabled the "G-Sync Compatible Indicator" in the Nvidia Control Panel which does indeed display a G-Sync label on screen when running a full screen game.

Not sure what you mean by display port 1.2, how can I tell if the port i'm using is 1.2?

If it's allowing you to enable it then the port must be dp 1.2.  Not being recognized as being, "g-sync compatible," could be as simple as them not having validated that particular model just yet (they claim to have tested 400+ out of 550+ I believe.)

Nvidia lists the VRR range on the XF240 as 48-144hz so the H variant is probably the same.  

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

As for whether it's working or not, if it's working you won't see any tearing if your framerate exceeds your monitors refresh rate.  In regards to stuttering, as I understand it you'll still notice big frame drops but they shouldn't be as horrendous but I could be wrong and have been doing some research into the subject occasionally since the driver came out.

Thanks for the response CorruptedSanity. Hopefully once Nvidia have tested the remaining 150 displays they will update/remove that warning message.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, any news on this monitor? I am also in Europe and researching whether or not it makes sense to buy it for an nvidia gpu.