Access point speed problems

barnus877

Hello everyone,

I have a modem, router combo which connected to a gigabit switch with a 50 meters long cat5e cable.

I have computers on the switch and I can get the desired speed on the computers (they are connected with cat5e cable as well.) But I have a 300 Mbps router (it is working in access  point mode) connected with cat5e cable also. If I connect to the access point I only get 7-8 Mbps. So my question is why I can't get more then that on the access point if I get 400 Mbps on the computers? 

Thanks for the answers.

We would need to know the access point model, how you have it configured and how far away from it you are trying to connect and with what.

There are so many variables.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 12/8/2018 at 12:13 PM, barnus877 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a modem, router combo which connected to a gigabit switch with a 50 meters long cat5e cable.

I have computers on the switch and I can get the desired speed on the computers (they are connected with cat5e cable as well.) But I have a 300 Mbps router (it is working in access  point mode) connected with cat5e cable also. If I connect to the access point I only get 7-8 Mbps. So my question is why I can't get more then that on the access point if I get 400 Mbps on the computers? 

Thanks for the answers.

This can be more reasons than i (honestly) don't really want to list up. But oh well, what do we have forums for?

Just because the router can deliver 300Mbps doesen't mean it can deliver that over WiFI.

The speed you'll get over that depends on the device aswell, not just the "access point"

If your internet speed is 400Mbps and you have two computers using 200Mbps each there simply is no internet left for your other devices :)