Choosing a quality 12v 3-5 amp LED power supply

ELECTRISK
Go to solution Solved by COUPER MILLAR,

It is important to find a high quality PC PSU due to the amount of power that it is required to manage. The led strip on the other hand will in comparison be handling almost nothing to run a couple strips of RGB lights. As long as the power delivery requirements are met and online reviews are not terrible get what ever is the most affordable.  

I'm new to electronics but have been into computers for quite some time. Recently I've been considering building my own music visualizer with an arduino or raspberry pi and some addressable LED's. Over the years Linus has definitely convinced me that it is very important to not cheap out on a computer power supply and I assume it's just as important when running LED's. The issue is that coolermaster, seasonic, etc. don't really make LED power supplies and it is actually difficult to find a reputable looking listing for a LED power supply on amazon & ebay. Any advice as to what to look for when choosing a good power supply? 

It is important to find a high quality PC PSU due to the amount of power that it is required to manage. The led strip on the other hand will in comparison be handling almost nothing to run a couple strips of RGB lights. As long as the power delivery requirements are met and online reviews are not terrible get what ever is the most affordable.  

13 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

Oh awesome! Thanks for the advice!

On 12/4/2018 at 11:24 AM, James Evens said:

Ebay, amazon, aliexpress are the places where i don't buy PSUs. 

99% of the PSU the search will turn up are china PSUs and not trustful or already listed in RAPEX just like this one: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=viewProduct&reference=A12/1083/18&lng=en

If you want quality buy at a trustable source/distributor and major brand one like meanwell.

The link you gave claims:

"Measures taken by economic operators: Destruction of the product (By: Importer)"

So if a power supply is listed in RAPEX, shouldn't it be destroyed before it gets to me?

Thanks for the information, I will likely buy a meanwell power supply.