pci legacy

Kupfury

Hey guys just had a quick question. My pc has a 4770k which offers 16 pcie gen 3 lanes. I have a graphics card and a wireless card at the moment. Those should be running in 8x on the gpu and 4x on the wireless card. I am about to buy a m.2 pci ssd which would take up another 4x slot. The problem is that my sound just died on my motherboard(long stoy). I have a sound card that is legacy pci just lying around. If I put that into my system, will I still have enough lanes to run that m.2 ssd? I'm just confused on the whole lanes of gen3 on a cpu but it doesnt seem to explain older generations pci. Any response would be helpful and thanks a lot.

I think that will be based of the chipset so you should be fine with your M.2 drive since PCI is an option that most motherboard manufactures incorporate for legacy purposes and it has nothing to do with the PCIe lanes (don't quote me on that but I am almost positive)  

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I think that will be based of the chipset so you should be fine with your M.2 drive since PCI is an option that most motherboard manufactures incorporate for legacy purposes and it has anything to do with the PCIe lanes (don't quote me on that but I am almost positive)  

it is a z97x gaming 7 from gigabyte

it is a z97x gaming 7 from gigabyte

Yea I think your good, like I said PCI is an older interface and does not interfere with the PCIe interface due to this :)

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

CI Express 3.0 x16 1 (x16)
1 (x8)
1 (x4) PCI Express x1

3 x PCI Express x1

PCI Slots 1 x PCI Slot  

This comes from the specs on newegg. I am guessing that the sound card would go in the pci slot and then pcie won't be affected. I will cross my fingers!