My First DIY Gaming/Light Media PC

ConiferousJelly

Hello Everyone. I am a first time PC builder and will have a friend help me build the PC, but I am wondering what I could change in my current idea of a build and hopefully to get some feedback. I am also only purchasing parts from Micro center, as it is the only place near my area that has all of the main components in store that I can go to directly and buy.

I am using a USD currency, and as mentioned earlier will only be buying parts from Micro center. My budget is $850 tops, without monitor or peripherals. I will start off at 1 monitor at 1080p, could possibly go to 2 monitors at 1080p, but that would really be it. I wont be running 4k monitors in my foreseeable future, so I am not worried about that at the time being, and will assess that factor when the time comes. I will be doing some media, like photoshop and light video editing, but this is not my main target. My main target is gaming. I will be playing an array of games that includes Counter Strike: Global Offensive, COD: Black Ops 3, H1Z1, and other FPS games. I am not very picky when it comes to high/ultra high settings, but the ability to use higher settings would be a nice touch. I also do prefer intel, but as you will see in my planned build below, I do not let that stop any ideas of going AMD. I also do prefer Nvidia GTX cards because of the features Nvidia brings and my likings to them. All of that being said, my build is planned as below

PC Part Picker List (To anyone who prefers): http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ConiferousJelly/saved/kJRmP6

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor @ $140

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler @ $32

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard @ $140

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory @ $85

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive @ $85

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card @ $175

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case @ $120

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply @ $80

Comments on above components: I went with the FX-8350 8-Core Processor because it is a fast gaming processor with 8-Cores, it is overtop for a better price and value than Intel. I also went with the NZXT H440 because of how it looks, it works for all of my components and looks great, and I am willing to pay more for a case that has good cosmetics and makes me happy, rather than one I am not found of looks. 

On the PCPartPicker page, most of the prices are entered in Manually to match Micro centers offerings. Prices can and probably will also be price matched due to Micro center's policy. One last note is that for the final build things may change, due to possibilities of there being out of box products for lower prices, and other situations like that.

So let me know what I can change and what you suggest for a better rig at my budget.

Thanks,

ConiferousJelly

Main Rig 1: Intel Core i5-6600k | Cooler Master Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus Z170-AR | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR4-2400 | Inland Professional 480GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB | NZXT S340 White | Corsair CX 600W PSU | Windows 10 Pro | PCPartPicker Link |

Main Rig 2: Intel Core i7-6700k | CRYORIG H7 Air Cooler | EVGA Z170 FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | NZXT S340 Elite Matte Black | Corsair RM 750x PSU | Windows 10 Pro | PCPartPicker Link |

Laptop: 2018 15" MacBook Pro | 2.6GHz 6 core i7 | Vega 20 GPU | Mac OS Catalina 

-snip-

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($56.10 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $851.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 05:29 EST-0500

Hello Everyone. I am a first time PC builder and will have a friend help me build the PC, but I am wondering what I could change in my current idea of a build and hopefully to get some feedback. I am also only purchasing parts from Micro center, as it is the only place near my area that has all of the main components in store that I can go to directly and buy.

I am using a USD currency, and as mentioned earlier will only be buying parts from Micro center. My budget is $850 tops, without monitor or peripherals. I will start off at 1 monitor at 1080p, could possibly go to 2 monitors at 1080p, but that would really be it. I wont be running 4k monitors in my foreseeable future, so I am not worried about that at the time being, and will assess that factor when the time comes. I will be doing some media, like photoshop and light video editing, but this is not my main target. My main target is gaming. I will be playing an array of games that includes Counter Strike: Global Offensive, COD: Black Ops 3, H1Z1, and other FPS games. I am not very picky when it comes to high/ultra high settings, but the ability to use higher settings would be a nice touch. I also do prefer intel, but as you will see in my planned build below, I do not let that stop any ideas of going AMD. I also do prefer Nvidia GTX cards because of the features Nvidia brings and my likings to them. All of that being said, my build is planned as below

PC Part Picker List (To anyone who prefers): http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ConiferousJelly/saved/kJRmP6

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor @ $140

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler @ $32

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard @ $140

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory @ $85

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive @ $85

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card @ $175

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case @ $120

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply @ $80

Comments on above components: I went with the FX-8350 8-Core Processor because it is a fast gaming processor with 8-Cores, it is overtop for a better price and value than Intel. I also went with the NZXT H440 because of how it looks, it works for all of my components and looks great, and I am willing to pay more for a case that has good cosmetics and makes me happy, rather than one I am not found of looks. 

On the PCPartPicker page, most of the prices are entered in Manually to match Micro centers offerings. Prices can and probably will also be price matched due to Micro center's policy. One last note is that for the final build things may change, due to possibilities of there being out of box products for lower prices, and other situations like that.

So let me know what I can change and what you suggest for a better rig at my budget.

Thanks,

ConiferousJelly

An i5-4460 will outperform all AMD CPU' s for the same price as that 8350.

Get a 1TB drive so you can afford a decent GPU (R9-380, it outperforms a 960 at the price).

Get only 8GB of RAM, you won't need it all.

Switch out that PSU with an XFX or SeaSonic unit.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

A 390 can be squeezed in if you'd like:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($80.75 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $864.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 05:29 EST-0500

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC