[Build Log] Mini-Mediabox, the "Sleeping Sleeper"

iamdarkyoshi

Hello everyone! It has been a while since my last build log. I will be trying to stuff the components from my dad's PC into an old HP mATX PC. He has a full ATX cooler master case at the moment, and the board is mATX.

First, why do I NOT use the chassis donor PC? These two stickers should give you a clue:

g8RDEyW.jpg

This is its current condition:

7R1riKY.jpg

The side panel is under my PC because my PC is on carpet. I guess I have to get that now.

Strangely enough, the PC has mounting standoffs for other flavors of motherboards, but no removable IO shield. Screw you too, HP.

Ubwxowf.jpg

What will be going into it? A first gen i5, 8GB of RAM, a GT630, and some motherboard I forgot the brand of, and (regrettably) the stock Cooler Master PSU from the current case. Oh, and like four hard drives.

I will post some updates today. I want as much airflow as I can get through this case. Expect at least a 140 and 120mm as intakes. Want updates? Follow this thread in the top right. 

Day Zero: I finished it already!

So I kinda sorta maybe forgot to take images during the build process. Basically, what I did was gut the chassis, cut holes on the front and back for 120 and 140mm fans, and cut out the rear IO so I could mount the motherboard's shield. As for the HDDs, they were mounted in the usual desktop orientation using two screws for each one, I just drilled holes in the sheet metal. The front 140mm fan blows right across these. The fourth HDD is a laptop drive, and is rarely used. So how about some derpy finished photos?

Front 140mm fan:

T2UzhPY.jpg

I had to "edit" the front IO to make them fit.

Rear IO and 120mm fan:

5YS6KSa.jpg

Notice how the 120mm fan is overlapping the IO shield and is right up against the edge of the PC. This is basically as much fan as humanly possible for the back.

And the innards with the worst cable organization ever?

9hVvGMe.jpg

Every sata port on the motherboard has been used O.o

I cannot belive how much computer I managed to cram in an OEM case from 10 years ago. Pretty impressive! It fits in the desk area now!

Day Zero: I finished it already!

So I kinda sorta maybe forgot to take images during the build process. Basically, what I did was gut the chassis, cut holes on the front and back for 120 and 140mm fans, and cut out the rear IO so I could mount the motherboard's shield. As for the HDDs, they were mounted in the usual desktop orientation using two screws for each one, I just drilled holes in the sheet metal. The front 140mm fan blows right across these. The fourth HDD is a laptop drive, and is rarely used. So how about some derpy finished photos?

Front 140mm fan:

T2UzhPY.jpg

I had to "edit" the front IO to make them fit.

Rear IO and 120mm fan:

5YS6KSa.jpg

Notice how the 120mm fan is overlapping the IO shield and is right up against the edge of the PC. This is basically as much fan as humanly possible for the back.

And the innards with the worst cable organization ever?

9hVvGMe.jpg

Every sata port on the motherboard has been used O.o

I cannot belive how much computer I managed to cram in an OEM case from 10 years ago. Pretty impressive! It fits in the desk area now!

Oh, I forgot to mention I did all of this WITHOUT A DREMMEL

The pain!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Oh, I forgot to mention I did all of this WITHOUT A DREMMEL

What did you use? Tin snips?

I have two of those psus... I hate both of them, the models I have say 500W but ripple to the point past 400W that isn't possible. Like the build though. :D

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I have two of those psus... I hate both of them, the models I have say 500W but ripple to the point past 400W that isn't possible. Like the build though. :D

Its enough for an i5 at stock clocks, a couple hard drives and a piddly videocard :P

Its all I had aside from a 1kw supply that wouldnt even fit

Its enough for an i5 at stock clocks, a couple hard drives and a piddly videocard :P

Its all I had aside from a 1kw supply that wouldnt even fit

I was able to make one power itself off with my Xeon and a HD 7770. :P Same with a HD 7770 and my FX 8120... The 8120 made it smell a little funny... Oops.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Oh my god, I saw a computer with that same front bezel at my university's waste collection event. I'm actually salvaging the front panel io for a rather interesting unorthodox build my friends and I are doing: a briefcase laptop with full desktop gpu (a 960 to be exact)

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2015 at 2:23 AM, Crazy Ginger said:

Oh my god, I saw a computer with that same front bezel at my university's waste collection event. I'm actually salvaging the front panel io for a rather interesting unorthodox build my friends and I are doing: a briefcase laptop with full desktop gpu (a 960 to be exact)

Wait a minute. I was readinf through my old topic, and I am doing the same! Mine will have a 750ti, and yes, it does run off of batteries.