Google's Self-Driving Car Project Gets CEO, Become A Company?

Source

Google-Car-640x356.jpg

Ever since Google created it's parent company, it allowed itself to split up parts of itself so that any legal action or problems it encounters doesn't affect other parts of the company that has no relation. I.E. Google gets sued by a hardware company for their cars that affects Google Docs. So it was expected for Google car project to get their CEO, what's surprising is that with the addition of the CEO sooner, we can expect to see the driverless cars be implemented and pushed out sooner in our lifetime.

According to The Wall Street Journal, John Krafcik, the president of online car shopping site "TrueCar" will be heading the project. The former head of the self-driving car program, Chris Urmson, will lead the technical development of the project.

Krafcik sounds like he will fit in well at Google: he's a mechanical engineer with "a data-driven approach focusing on lean manufacturing" according to the WSJ. He was at Ford from 1990 to 2004 where he eventually became chief engineer for the Expedition and Navigator SUVs. After that, he moved to Hyundai Motor Co. for 10 years and spent the last five as CEO of the US business, which, by all accounts, was very successful.

The goal for Google with the new CEO is to be able to have a better understanding when partnering with other car manufacturers to be able to push and streamline their projects onto the cars.

Google only has a handful of the vehicles currently, and getting the technology down to a scalable, sellable product will be Krafcik's big challenge.

The WSJ describes Krafcik as the "CEO," but the self-driving car project is not (yet) a company under the newly formed Google parent company "Alphabet." With a real car company CEO, the group seems to be gearing up to become an official Alphabet subsidiary. Google apparently even hinted at the possibility, telling the WSJ that "The Google spokeswoman said the project is a good candidate to become an Alphabet company."

The step towards a Google Car Company suggest that we will have more of a quicker path to having driverless cars in the near future.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

well google started alphabet so all there branches could be come companies, easier for organisation and responsibilities, also probably helps them dodge taxes around the world.

although i think self driving lorries will be the turning point

Seems like a good move for the project imo

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I love the google car but

honestly thats pretty ugly 

they need a more "normal" look

Coupe/Sedan style

Google wants to be the Proctor & Gamble of technology, or the Berkshire Hathaway of technology.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit