GPU won't clock down to desktop mode at 144Hz

Elapo
Go to solution Solved by Thx And Bye,
That is by design, if you want the card to downclock, you have to select 120Hz or lower refresh rate.

Going to too low clock speed culd cause the display to flicker so they stay at the higher clock.

Was the same with older nvidia gpus and 120Hz displays.

So this is a pretty small issue, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a solution for this.

I recently got an ASUS VG248 144Hz monitor, but when actually running at 144Hz, I noticed that my main 970 was running a fair bit hotter than it was before (as in 20C+ more) at idle Taking a closer look through afterburner, I noticed that the Card's core clock stayed at 899MHz, rather than clocking down to 135. 

I know 144Hz is probably heavier on the card, but if I set the refresh rate to 120Hz, the card DOES clock down to 135MHz, which makes a fairly big difference in power usage, obviously.

Now, I can live with 120Hz, it's not like I'll notice the difference, I just find it kinda weird and was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this, and if they fixed it.

Setup, if required: 2x 970 in SLI, 2 monitors (Main 144Hz, secondary 60Hz), both connected to the top card using DVI. 

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

My first thought is that it's just the card trying to push a constant 144Hz, but the fact that it's not clocking down is weird. I don't know though, so I guess you'll have to deal with it unless someone else knows what the issue is. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

That is by design, if you want the card to downclock, you have to select 120Hz or lower refresh rate.

Going to too low clock speed culd cause the display to flicker so they stay at the higher clock.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

I didn't know that, cool, thanks for the answer!

I'll just leave it at 120 then, it's not like I'll notice the difference between 120 and 144 anyway.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."