Water cooling my system. How do I do?

(I have asked this question in the “Water Cooling 101” topic but I haven’t gotten an answer, yet)

General

My graphics card is starting to annoy me with its loud fans (iChill GTX 980 x4 ABU) and I have looked into replacing the cooler with another one. However, no AIR cooler I found would fit my 980.

I found a “Corsair HG10 N980” sounded like a good idea…. I thought at first. I realized that it would be stupid to buy two HG10-thingies AND two water coolers for a SLI setup, and finally a different cooler for the CPU to allow for a SLI setup.

That was when a custom water-cooled loop struck me. Might not be cheaper, but it will look damn good! In addition, perform a little bit better…. Maybe.

Edit: I am getting everything I need from EK (https://shop.ekwb.com/) Mainly because they were the first I found that would ship to Denmark

Question

I've done some quick and poor research on what to buy, and I have made a shopping cart of things that I think are compatible with each other.

I would like someone to review my order and tell me if it is good enough, or I should change something. (Posted as a picture)

Loop setup

I want a pump that can support for a SLI and CPU loop.

The dual rad is for one card now, and hopefully it can handle another one in the far future (SLI).

I plan on getting a triple rad to (most of the time) passively cool my CPU in the far future (so I will have a dual + triple)

post-218277-0-37021100-1438761938_thumb.

tubing and fittings should be compatible (although that is the precise area I am never sure of).

Also you want to CL now and then add a 2nd GPU and even later another rad? you know you will have to drain, dry, modify and bleed the whole loop everytime?

and that last one is not done by just putting coolant in it..

you miss a CPU-block as well, the rest is fine as far as I know

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

tubing and fittings should be compatible (although that is the precise area I am never sure of).

Also you want to CL now and then add a 2nd GPU and even later another rad? you know you will have to drain, dry, modify and bleed the whole loop everytime?

and that last one is not done by just putting coolant in it..

you miss a CPU-block as well, the rest is fine as far as I know

Hmm... Haven't thought about the drain, dry and bleed part.

So I probably wont get a rad and water-block for the CPU, but instead get a pre-filled cooler for that.

The point of this shopping cart is to get the parts I need to water-cool my 1st card and have a rad + pump that can handle another card in the far future.

But if the rad is big enough for that and the pump checks out, I'm happy.

Also what did you mean "CL" ?

Hmm... Haven't thought about the drain, dry and bleed part.

So I probably wont get a rad and water-block for the CPU, but instead get a pre-filled cooler for that.

The point of this shopping cart is to get the parts I need to water-cool my 1st card and have a rad + pump that can handle another card in the far future.

But if the rad is big enough for that and the pump checks out, I'm happy.

Also what did you mean "CL" ?

CL = Custom Loop.

It makes no sense to put a whole CL on a single card and redo it entirely for a second card later. yes the rad is enough but it is way too much work to do so.

even 2 AiOs is a handier option then (which is why my setup consists of 3 AiOs - I upgraded it to it's current state every now and then).

if you want the custom loop then cool everything with it. In general a CPU should be watercooled before the GPUs - it kicks out way more heat.

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

CL = Custom Loop.

It makes no sense to put a whole CL on a single card and redo it entirely for a second card later. yes the rad is enough but it is way too much work to do so.

even 2 AiOs is a handier option then (which is why my setup consists of 3 AiOs - I upgraded it to it's current state every now and then).

if you want the custom loop then cool everything with it. In general a CPU should be watercooled before the GPUs - it kicks out way more heat.

I see. Well, I guess I'll hold off until I get another card, once needed.

My current CPU cooler is a noctua nh-d14. I don't think I've ever seen it at- or above 50°C outside of stress tests.

However, because of the size of the cooler, it's blocking access to one of my two 16x PCIe ports.

Looks good. And kudos on going all EKWB. They look nice together and are actually really good quality. Here are my thoughts:

- You're gonna want some shoulder connectors. It's better to have a 45 or 90 degree angle straight up and have the tubing go in smooth curves. See, it can kink over time too and it just plain blows if it does. I'd rather have them and have no use for them than not have them and realize I need them. Three of each or something like that.

- Get at least another bottle of the same liquid. One liter will probably be enough but it's better to have a spare for spillage now and for refills later on.

- I also like having a tube-reservoir and pump combo but that one is a bit on the tiny side. I'd go with a bigger reservoir. It gives more leeway for evaporation. Res-pump combo does tie you to a single loop setup thou. It's not a bad idea at all to have two loops (one for CPU, one for GPU) that come together in the reservoir, but that takes a separate res and two pumps.

- I only remember one single instance of having a faulty EK fitting but in the off chance you get one, you'll love yourself for having bought extra off the bat. The one I came across had a broken O-ring. To be honest, it looked like it had happened in the shipping since the bag had markings on it too.

I'll always get the most powerful pump I can fit and afford and ramp it down with PWM to reduce noise and theoretically lengthen the life. The pressure is good when there's noticeable flow returning to the tank but not too much sloshing. With rads more is better too. As a rule of thumb I put 120mm worth "for the system" and 120mm worth for each component. So in your case 240mm to begin with, 360mm with the added CPU and 360mm and a 120mm (or 240mm, as you planned) with the second GPU.

Looks good. And kudos on going all EKWB. They look nice together and are actually really good quality. Here are my thoughts:

- You're gonna want some shoulder connectors. It's better to have a 45 or 90 degree angle straight up and have the tubing go in smooth curves. See, it can kink over time too and it just plain blows if it does. I'd rather have them and have no use for them than not have them and realize I need them. Three of each or something like that.

- Get at least another bottle of the same liquid. One liter will probably be enough but it's better to have a spare for spillage now and for refills later on.

- I also like having a tube-reservoir and pump combo but that one is a bit on the tiny side. I'd go with a bigger reservoir. It gives more leeway for evaporation. Res-pump combo does tie you to a single loop setup thou. It's not a bad idea at all to have two loops (one for CPU, one for GPU) that come together in the reservoir, but that takes a separate res and two pumps.

- I only remember one single instance of having a faulty EK fitting but in the off chance you get one, you'll love yourself for having bought extra off the bat. The one I came across had a broken O-ring. To be honest, it looked like it had happened in the shipping since the bag had markings on it too.

I'll always get the most powerful pump I can fit and afford and ramp it down with PWM to reduce noise and theoretically lengthen the life. The pressure is good when there's noticeable flow returning to the tank but not too much sloshing. With rads more is better too. As a rule of thumb I put 120mm worth "for the system" and 120mm worth for each component. So in your case 240mm to begin with, 360mm with the added CPU and 360mm and a 120mm (or 240mm, as you planned) with the second GPU.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed reply!

But as xTrekStorex pointed out, there's a "flaw" with the idea I had for the setup and that is, it's not going to be easy and I could make it easier by getting it all done at once.

But having two separate loops. Could that be done with two jump/res combos? I'd prefer using the combo units, because it seems less likely for me to mess it up... and it would probably look better.

But as xTrekStorex pointed out, there's a "flaw" with the idea I had for the setup and that is, it's not going to be easy and I could make it easier by getting it all done at once.

But having two separate loops. Could that be done with two jump/res combos? I'd prefer using the combo units, because it seems less likely for me to mess it up... and it would probably look better.

yes you can but it will take more space in the case and produce more noise. I'd also go that route if I'd build 2 loops though

It's doable. But the case needs to be big for it. Like really big. Enthoo Primo big. And it won't be silent. There's going to be so much tubing that it'll be difficult to get it all look tidy. Usually it's the easiest way to have the pump+res at the bottom of the case so it's pretty much guaranteed to never run dry but to free some space I'd probably put the pump and reservoir for the CPU loop in the 5,25" bay and even the radiator at the top. The pump you were looking at is too bulky for it but there are 5,25" reservoirs with an integrated Laing D5. It's really sturdy pump and comes in PWM too. Then the GPU loop could be entirely below all that. No criss-crossing with the tubes. Would love to have a crack at it with hard tubing. :)

I'm kinda torn. I do agree that it's best to do it all at once and the CPU should be the fist thing to go in the custom loop but on the other hand this stuff costs like crazy and spreading that over long period of time sounds just lovely. Perhaps a payment plan or just plain credit card would be my choice.

Never used that pump before. EK offers a D5 version of that same reservoir\pump combo.

Custom Loop

4790K - Titan X - 16GB Vengeance 1866 - Asus Vii Hero - EVGA G2 850w - Samsung Evo 500gb - Corsair 760T - ROG SWIFT

Heya!

Just looking at the list a couple of things.

You understand that the 280 radiators are for 140mm fans right, 240s are for 120mm, just in case you didn't know.

You might need a bit more than 6 fittings, 2 per component minimum.

Why buy red tubing and red coolant? If you can get a 2L or 5L bottle of distilled water then add some biocide then red tubing should be good. I have heard some people say that red coolant can stain and be a pain to clean out in the future. [Edit - Maybe for the reservoir it would look nice, then also grab clear tubing]

Also if your in Denmark then I was able to find this shop ala the magic of the internet - http://www.coolerkit.dk/shop/frontpage.html

Might save you some shipping from Slovenia and their prices seem to equate.

You've got a Nanoxia! Can't find anyone else on here with one haha.

Tak!

Heya!

Just looking at the list a couple of things.

You understand that the 280 radiators are for 140mm fans right, 240s are for 120mm, just in case you didn't know.

I wasn't sure of what fans were supposed to be used. But as of right now, I don't have any fans for a rad, yet.

You might need a bit more than 6 fittings, 2 per component minimum.

The cart was only for a GPU CL. So I figured: 2x for GPU block, 2x for rad and 2x for pump/res (didn't look like there was any other way to attach tubes)

Why buy red tubing and red coolant? If you can get a 2L or 5L bottle of distilled water then add some biocide then red tubing should be good. I have heard some people say that red coolant can stain and be a pain to clean out in the future. [Edit - Maybe for the reservoir it would look nice, then also grab clear tubing]

Haven't really thought about stains, I just went for matching colors (also in the res). But if "making" my own coolant would be just as good, stain free and easy to do, hard to mess up I am all for it!

I'll just figure out some LED mod to compensate for lack of red.

Also if your in Denmark then I was able to find this shop ala the magic of the internet - http://www.coolerkit.dk/shop/frontpage.html

Might save you some shipping from Slovenia and their prices seem to equate.

Doesn't seem like there's any GPU water-blocks. But there are some pretty sweet CPU cooling options!

You've got a Nanoxia! Can't find anyone else on here with one haha.

Tak!

It looks like a fridge, but has the cooling potential of one as well. I love it!

Det er mig der takker :)

It's doable. But the case needs to be big for it. Like really big. Enthoo Primo big. And it won't be silent. There's going to be so much tubing that it'll be difficult to get it all look tidy. Usually it's the easiest way to have the pump+res at the bottom of the case so it's pretty much guaranteed to never run dry but to free some space I'd probably put the pump and reservoir for the CPU loop in the 5,25" bay and even the radiator at the top. The pump you were looking at is too bulky for it but there are 5,25" reservoirs with an integrated Laing D5. It's really sturdy pump and comes in PWM too. Then the GPU loop could be entirely below all that. No criss-crossing with the tubes. Would love to have a crack at it with hard tubing. :)

I'm kinda torn. I do agree that it's best to do it all at once and the CPU should be the fist thing to go in the custom loop but on the other hand this stuff costs like crazy and spreading that over long period of time sounds just lovely. Perhaps a payment plan or just plain credit card would be my choice.

I would probably go for one pump/res unit. The main reason of switching to water cooling is because of the noise reduction.

Would this https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-140-d5-pwm-incl-pump be enough for my full loop? or do I have to go with two separate loops?

Getting a 5.25" combo unit also seemed very attractive, but the GPUs would be below the reservoir.

I would probably go for one pump/res unit. The main reason of switching to water cooling is because of the noise reduction.

Would this https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-140-d5-pwm-incl-pump be enough for my full loop? or do I have to go with two separate loops?

Getting a 5.25" combo unit also seemed very attractive, but the GPUs would be below the reservoir.

Such a textbook EKWB product. :)

- We have a round pump and a round tube. How do we connect them?

- How about a square block?

- Brilliant!

Yeah. But I really have nothing that bad to say about that combo. Might be a hassle to install, maybe? It needs to be mounted on a wall part. But if anything can push water through a CPU and dual GPUs, it's got to be a D5.

I meant that the GPU loop would have a tube reservoir at the bottom. Only CPU reservoir at 5,25" bay.

So I finally got a break. I've thought about the setup for some time.

I've made a MS paint drawing of how I plan to setup my loop (Water flows to the CPU block first, then top rad, and so on)

So I finally got a break. I've thought about the setup for some time.

I've made a MS paint drawing of how I plan to setup my loop (Water flows to the CPU block first, then top rad, and so on)

Can't seem to click on it - no permission :(....

From my supertrooper "enhancement" of the thumbnail, looks like you're sending the loop to the 5.25" bay? Here's a link to mah thread asking about my proposed loop:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/230599-pump-and-loop-questions/

Here's what my DS1 looks like, now without the shitty soundcard/homemade PSU cover, if it helps?

post-146464-0-60811800-1439640975_thumb.

Can't seem to click on it - no permission :(....

From my supertrooper "enhancement" of the thumbnail, looks like you're sending the loop to the 5.25" bay? Here's a link to mah thread asking about my proposed loop:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/230599-pump-and-loop-questions/

Here's what my DS1 looks like, now without the shitty soundcard/homemade PSU cover, if it helps?

post-146464-0-60811800-1439640975_thumb.

Woops. The album should be public now.

The loop you posted in your thread seem a bit odd to me, I don't have the slighest idea if there's a "right" way to set up a loop, but still. It loos like you have the flow set to go to the top-rad (giggle) > CPU > GPU > front rad > Res/pump. Wouldn't it be best to have go through a hot component > rad > hot coponent >rad ?

Woops. The album should be public now.

The loop you posted in your thread seem a bit odd to me, I don't have the slighest idea if there's a "right" way to set up a loop, but still. It loos like you have the flow set to go to the top-rad (giggle) > CPU > GPU > front rad > Res/pump. Wouldn't it be best to have go through a hot component > rad > hot coponent >rad ?

Yea, that's what I thought too. unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The pump rotates the full volume of water around your whole loop so fast that it doesn't really matter what order the components are in as the temperature of the water is relatively similar no matter where you measure it from. It might be a degree or two hotter after passing through a cpu or gpu block but overall the loop is cooled at the same rate. This is a bit confusing to explain but I believe I saw it on Jayz2cents in one of his watercooling videos. I think the point he was trying to make was that the most important part of the loop order is putting the res in front of the pump so it doesn't run dry. 

Anyhow, here's a pic of my system temps running at idle watching a vid and looking at the forums, got the heater on, its 16 deg C atm for reference:

post-146464-0-68015700-1439644185_thumb.