Stackable Computer Concept

I was looking for a small customizable desktop computer, and didn't exactly found what i was looking for, then i found the Intel NUC form factor which allows you to get a very powerful computer in a tiny tiny case.

The issue with NUC computers is that it's not expandable, you can't add dedicated graphics card, you can't add extra storage, plus it's have very limited external power brick.

And this where my idea for stackable Computer come into play, it's solve the NUC expandability issues and it's much easier and more intuitive than the big custom built desktop computers towers in a significantly smaller form factor.

The concept as the name implies consist of multiple stackable modules one above the other, the core module is the one holding the motherboard + CPU, other units vary in purpose, anything from Power supply units to storage to IO panels.

stackable%20computer%20concept2.jpg

Here is a rough specification for each module:

• Dimensions: 120mm x 120mm (4.3" x 4.3") with variable height
  • 3 mm (1/8") tall protruding ridge/rail in the top (50mm width,horizontally centered) to allow stacking the next module through the matching groove in the bottom
  • Tow Contact grids wired together, one in the middle of the protruding rail and one in the middle of the groove
  • The grids carry multiple power + data parallel channels through multiple interfaces (SATA, PCIe,USB)
  • There is also an auxiliary channel in the gird that communicates the occupied data channels and the data channels available for use.
  • Can hold up to 5 KG (11 lb) above it.
  • Order is not important

Minimum modules you will need for a working computer is the core module plus one power supply unit.

PS: who ever moved my post to  Case Modding forum didn't understand my concept, this is a concept for OEM's to implement and develop not a "case" mod

So kinda like the Thermaltake stack-able cases plus the Razer Christine concept?

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

You've been beaten to it. Look into the razer project Christine.

Not totally the same, but the whole Snap on Snap off parts has been around for a while. Just think of the razer idea as super enthusiast.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Well, if it's for a NUC, you'd use the mPCIe slot and adapt all the eGPU things in there

And for a MXM GPU, IDK of any 12cm PCIe GPUs 

Of course I'm only talking if you plan to use current hardware :P

This is a signature.

You've been beaten to it. Look into the razer project Christine.

Not totally the same, but the whole Snap on Snap off parts has been around for a while. Just think of the razer idea as super enthusiast.

It's not about if similar concepts exist, It's about having a good concept, and I think my concept is good, in fact it's better than project Christine:

1. Much smaller
  2. Don't have a fixed height, it's as small as your parts.
  3. Don't need the "spine" part

Here is my concept next to project Christine (for a sense of a scale)
excuse my bad photo editing skills and 3D modeling

project%20Christine%2BSCC.png

Here is my concept next to project Christine (for a sense of a scale)

excuse my bad photo editing skills and 3D modeling

project%20Christine%2BSCC.png

I see what you mean, but with current technology, project christine even was only a test, and couldn't be adapted for consumer use. to solve the problem of cooling they used an oil if I'm not mistaken.

In your concept there is no mention of cooling, and it would appear if those were desktop parts that there would be no active cooling done, only passive which, will simply not be effective enough to run desktop environments. 

The idea is certainly neat, just not applicable with our current technology. If you want an idea of how well a similar idea to this is, check out the thermal throttling issues in the Gigabyte gaming brix. It uses what is considered a fairly low TDP desktop gpu, and a efficient cpu, and still throttles like mad. with its custom active cooling.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Super easy to implement, if they can make modular DJ equipment why can't they make NUC adaptors.. Shit they can cram 8 fans in a tablet.. What would be the problem with cooling exactly? The gpu could have active and passive cooling and come with a metal enclosure as well as fans, the PSU could use the same.. There would be no need for oils like Christine..