Witcher3 and SLI

Jeff C

I recently had to re-install Windows 8.1 64bit on my system and now when I run witcher 3 on ultra i only get 20-34fps, even on sli. Beforehand i would get 60 (with vsync on) and about 74 with it off. Right now I'm running Maximus VI Formula with a 4790k (clocked at 4.5), 16G of DDR3 running at 1600Mghz, 2 ASUS GTX 780 posiedons in sli watercooled and clocked to 1228. Before the windows re-install i could run the game stable on a cpu clock of 4.6 and gpu clock of 1241 and get the expected 60. I ran Heaven Benchmark and was getting 80-115fps, Shadows of Mordor Benchmark i averaged 90. Does anyone know what might have caused Witcher3 to suddenly get such low framerates. Yes I do have it set to fullscreen and and turned the fpscap to unlimited.

I recently had to re-install Windows 8.1 64bit on my system and now when I run witcher 3 on ultra i only get 20-34fps, even on sli. Beforehand i would get 60 (with vsync on) and about 74 with it off. Right now I'm running Maximus VI Formula with a 4790k (clocked at 4.5), 16G of DDR3 running at 1600Mghz, 2 ASUS GTX 780 posiedons in sli watercooled and clocked to 1228. Before the windows re-install i could run the game stable on a cpu clock of 4.6 and gpu clock of 1241 and get the expected 60. I ran Heaven Benchmark and was getting 80-115fps, Shadows of Mordor Benchmark i averaged 90. Does anyone know what might have caused Witcher3 to suddenly get such low framerates. Yes I do have it set to fullscreen and and turned the fpscap to unlimited.

Have you turned nVidia Hairworks? That kills the framerate on anything less than the 900 series GPU's. If it isn't turned on then try setting the game to Windowed Borderless and see if that helps, I've seen people try fullscreen and had terrible framerates that was fixed by setting the game to Windowed Borderless.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Yeah I did both.  I actually was able to have hair-works maxed and get 55-60 originally, once again because i'm running in sli.  I even checked my nvidia settings to make sure sli was still running. I did drop it to windows border less and back to full screen to see if the settings listed in the ini file didn't change with the configuration, still only 20-30.  Its really weird that all of a sudden i can only get 60+ fps on low.  Granted the 780s aren't top of the line but you'd think 2 of them would be comparable to a 980

Since you have reinstalled windows 8.1, is it completely up to date? That can affect performance. :P

My potato can run Crysis 3 at 4K! Potato Build: 4 Titan Zs, 8-core potato cpu (8GHz), 28GB RAM, 5 USB 3.0 Ports with razer stickers ;D

Yeah I did both.  I actually was able to have hair-works maxed and get 55-60 originally, once again because i'm running in sli.  I even checked my nvidia settings to make sure sli was still running. I did drop it to windows border less and back to full screen to see if the settings listed in the ini file didn't change with the configuration, still only 20-30.  Its really weird that all of a sudden i can only get 60+ fps on low.  Granted the 780s aren't top of the line but you'd think 2 of them would be comparable to a 980

It sounds like SLi isn't working tbh, What version of the nVidia drivers are you running? and have you installed the latest patches for TW3? It's 1.06 currently.

Can you also check with GPU-z or AfterBurner to make sure that SLi is currently working please?

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the Late response, I havent been able to check this in a while.  Seems like everything is running better now.  the new graphics options in 1.07 seem to have also helped a lot.