Which gtx 980 to pick?

Arkaea

Hi guys,

I'm currently building my new pc with two graphic cards in sli, and I was first thinking about the EVGA gtx980 SC ACX 2.0, but then I saw the EVGA gtx980 Kingpin and the Asus gtx980 Matrix Platinum and my doubts started to pop up.

I compared the specs of all the three cards and there isnt much of a diference based on the price gap aswell, for instance, isnt the gtx980 sc acx better than the matrix platinum? And its 140€ cheaper where I live. Dunno about the kingpin's price cause I'm still waiting for an email from the computer store.

Looks do matter a bit, and I hate the way the 980 sc acx looks, but what I really am looking for is performance in comparison with price, which one would you pick?

Well isnt the GTX 980 20TH Anniversary something youd be interested at?

Groomlake Authority

Go for the cheaper one, all of those are great coolers, all run cooler and have fan off at idle, just have different clocks, but the kinpin will overclock more if that is something you want to get into

Ran by coffee

980 Matrix's in SLI are glorious. I love mine.

Your lens is broken.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

huh?

2386293-the_joke_your_head_3-(n129280466

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Go for the cheaper one, all of those are great coolers, all run cooler and have fan off at idle, just have different clocks, but the kinpin will overclock more if that is something you want to get into

KPE is useless for overclocking on air or water, Classified is better for what hes going to be doing also the KPE is over priced. all you get a an extra 6pin for memory.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Well isnt the GTX 980 20TH Anniversary something youd be interested at?

I didnt even research about that card, and I'm one of those guys (you're gonna laugh) that is kinda picky with the colour scheme.

KPE is useless for overclocking on air or water, Classified is better for what hes going to be doing also the KPE is over priced. all you get a an extra 6pin for memory.

Can you get on XTU, would love to see how it benches.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Good point..

Ran by coffee

Hi guys,

I'm currently building my new pc with two graphic cards in sli, and I was first thinking about the EVGA gtx980 SC ACX 2.0, but then I saw the EVGA gtx980 Kingpin and the Asus gtx980 Matrix Platinum and my doubts started to pop up.

I compared the specs of all the three cards and there isnt much of a diference based on the price gap aswell, for instance, isnt the gtx980 sc acx better than the matrix platinum? And its 140€ cheaper where I live. Dunno about the kingpin's price cause I'm still waiting for an email from the computer store.

Looks do matter a bit, and I hate the way the 980 sc acx looks, but what I really am looking for is performance in comparison with price, which one would you pick?

None. 980ti is launching any week now. I'd highly reccomend grabing one of these instead. Not that the 980 is bad but if you have a chance to grab a GM200 and an extra 2 GB's of VRam I'd definetly do it. Not to mention it probably won't be that much more expensive than a high end 980 like the Classified is right now. Maybe another hundred bucks or two max. If it's anything like the Titan X it should overclock really well, especially on a non reference PCB!

Custom Loop

4790K - Titan X - 16GB Vengeance 1866 - Asus Vii Hero - EVGA G2 850w - Samsung Evo 500gb - Corsair 760T - ROG SWIFT

I've just got the  EVGA gtx980 SC ACX 2.0 and im loving it. Runs quite cool and very quiet. 

I just ordered my EVGA 980FTW and zero regrets here. Especially since I got mine for a steal ($509 after rebate). It really doesn't matter when it comes to speed and performance because they will all overclock similarly and the silicone lottery isn't just for CPUs. If you like the look of the Asus card better, get that one. The EVGA SC edition has done well in the benchmarks on Paul's Hardware and overclocks like a champ while staying nice and cool.

Again, it's really up to brand preference.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

I just ordered my EVGA 980FTW and zero regrets here. Especially since I got mine for a steal ($509 after rebate). It really doesn't matter when it comes to speed and performance because they will all overclock similarly and the silicone lottery isn't just for CPUs. If you like the look of the Asus card better, get that one. The EVGA SC edition has done well in the benchmarks on Paul's Hardware and overclocks like a champ while staying nice and cool.

Again, it's really up to brand preference.

I've been using an evga gtx660 TI SC for the past three years and I love how stable and quiet it runs, when I powered it for the first time I was like "is the card even running? Oo" but yeah I'm being a bit picky with the colour scheme (red) and I dont think the evga 980 sc acx goes well with it, ence considering the matrix platinum, although it's 140€ more expensive..

I've been using an evga gtx660 TI SC for the past three years and I love how stable and quiet it runs, when I powered it for the first time I was like "is the card even running? Oo" but yeah I'm being a bit picky with the colour scheme (red) and I dont think the evga 980 sc acx goes well with it, ence considering the matrix platinum, although it's 140€ more expensive..

Hey I'm all for color matching systems (I went with the FTW because it was completely black and goes with everything), I mean, I have a completely orange/black system for that reason. No other brand made sense for me for that reason. And I have faith in EVGA since they do Nvidia's reference cards.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX