what kind of cable do i need?

lukky211111

so im not sure if i need an active adapter or just a regular displayport to dvi but i have an older samsung monitor i wanna use with my new build thats coming near completition ill be running my main monitor which uses displayport and the other only has dvi and vga so i wanna use a displayport to dvi cable my gpu is the evga gtx 980 sc and the hdmi port on it will be used for my tv only.

askdjfasdf

I am not saying this is the one to buy because I am sure you can get something cheaper, but this is what you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/CNE96374-Premium-Black-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B002CSUZSU/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432850259&sr=1-8&keywords=displayport+to+dvi-d+cable

Display port has a great ability to easily switch to other standards. 

[EDIT] After checking EVGA's website, I just noticed that their 980 comes with a DVI port, so why do you need an adapter? 

Main Rig

{
Intel Core i7 4770k, MSI Gaming z87-g45, EVGA GTX 770 dual SLI,  ARC Midi R2 , 16GB Crucial Ballistix, 256Gb SSD, 4TB HDD}

Peripherals

{
Keyboard: Razer Black Widow      Mouse: Razer Naga     Monitor: Asus 27in x 3}

It would be easier and probably cheaper to get 2 different cables one DP the other DVI and not bother with an adapter

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Doesn't that graphics card have a DVI port? Why don't you just use DVI-to-DVI?

uhm.....welll you know i uhm......well.....crap

I am not saying this is the one to buy because I am sure you can get something cheaper, but this is what you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/CNE96374-Premium-Black-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B002CSUZSU/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432850259&sr=1-8&keywords=displayport+to+dvi-d+cable

alrighty thank you

askdjfasdf

i have one of these cables and works fine 60HZ 1080p just look for DP to DVI

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

[EDIT] After checking EVGA's website, I just noticed that their 980 comes with a DVI port, so why do you need an adapter? 

because i overlooked it somehow.....not sure how but i did.

askdjfasdf