Networking Solution for 3 story house

ppittman13
Go to solution Solved by ppittman13,

@ppittman13

How old is your house? Any phone jacks in the room? Newer homes usually have cat5 ran even for phone jacks. It's worth a shot to look before buying something that you might not need.

thanks yeah I looked and theres cat6 RJ45 in my room so I'll plug a router in and setup a bridge

First of all, I'm pretty much a noob to networking, yet i know the bare basics. So here's my problem, I'll be soon moving into my new house which is 3 stories. Im getting Time Warner Cable 300mpbs(It was my only option) and they have opted to install the gateway in the middle of the house 2nd story. Now my PC is on the 3rd story and I want to connect to it via gigabit ethernet. But obviously if the gateway is on the second story and my PC is on the third story how am I going to connect it. I don't want to string a huge ethernet cable all the way up stairs to my room. So what should I do, what I would like to happen is for a second router to be placed in my room so I can connect it from the that. If so how do I do this, and if not tell me what I should do.

Very Linus, Much Tip

run ethernet through the air return vents

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hire someone to run the cable through your walls.

Hire someone to run the cable through your walls.

or do it yourself just need some flexible but not bendy (aka long metal rod) 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

First of all, I'm pretty much a noob to networking, yet i know the bare basics. So here's my problem, I'll be soon moving into my new house which is 3 stories. Im getting Time Warner Cable 300mpbs(It was my only option) and they have opted to install the gateway in the middle of the house 2nd story. Now my PC is on the 3rd story and I want to connect to it via gigabit ethernet. But obviously if the gateway is on the second story and my PC is on the third story how am I going to connect it. I don't want to string a huge ethernet cable all the way up stairs to my room. So what should I do, what I would like to happen is for a second router to be placed in my room so I can connect it from the that. If so how do I do this, and if not tell me what I should do.

I have a similar setup with the modem and router(wifi) on the top floor and front of the home and another router (wifi) for the downstairs and back of the home, for the second router you will need a direct connection to it via ethernet from the first one and to setup the second router in bridge mode. 

As for running the cables themselves if your handy you can do it with little to no damage in the walls by concealing the holes behind baseboards. Ideally you want a wall that's insulated and a run where the walls lineup on each floor so the cable will be able to punch through right inside of the next wall. An easy solution which has been suggested was to run it through return ducts.

Another solution if you don't want to run cables would be a power line adapter they have better performance that wifi but are much easier to install.

Heres and NCIX video about different networking solutions(its a little dated but the informations still good)

get one of thouse powerline adapters

@ppittman13

How old is your house? Any phone jacks in the room? Newer homes usually have cat5 ran even for phone jacks. It's worth a shot to look before buying something that you might not need.

@ppittman13

thanks yeah I looked and theres cat6 RJ45 in my room so I'll plug a router in and setup a bridge

Very Linus, Much Tip

@ppittman13

I also live in a modern 3 story condo. Phone jack in every room that are all Cat 6. I was gonna splice them and link them all to a switch in my house. Only issue is they all head to the attic of my condo and there is so much foam insulation in there that I have no chance of finding it without removing almost all of it. For now I just have a beefy wireless router as close to the center of the 2nd floor I can get.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

As some people pointed out, the best solution is always a cable. If you have a Cat6 socket in your room, I would recomend buying a switch to connected wired stuff and if you need wifi to put a AP (access point). It will make your life easier.

I also live in a modern 3 story condo. Phone jack in every room that are all Cat 6. I was gonna splice them and link them all to a switch in my house. Only issue is they all head to the attic of my condo and there is so much foam insulation in there that I have no chance of finding it without removing almost all of it. For now I just have a beefy wireless router as close to the center of the 2nd floor I can get.

Hmm that seem like an odd thing to do. How would someone maintain that?? Usually it goes to a junction box for easy access. Anyways, I feel for ya. My house didnt have anything wired at all. Had to do it myself.