LED strips behind motherboard.

Unitx2

In my current build, i'm thinking about making a dimm light in the case, so i came up with thoughts about placing LED strips on the case, behind the motherboard.

What are your opinions about this idea.

My concerns are, will the leds generate heat?
Will they make small electrical zapxapxpa and interfere with the motherboard?

Ive tried to illustrate my idea here, for you - for an easier understanding.

Shows the led's placement behind the motherboard, mounted on the case.
And shows a little sketch in the left too

jkvQOaF.jpg

If any of you know about a case/mod with this, i'd like to see some links.

Linus review of the leds:

Some types of LEDs get warm and emit heat....as far as that causing a problem....tough to say. I don't see it being an issue.

While these lights are awesome...you may be able to achieve the same look you want with a few tailed LEDs.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

itll generate heat, but im guessing its wont be too much that itll be a cause for concern

as for the "small electrical zapxapxpa", im no expert sooo i cant comment on that

though, i did see a build once with the same idea, only, the owner used EL wire instead of led strips :)

edit:

a8e2fa04_DSC_0415.jpeg

2500k,4.3GHZ · Hyper.212.+ · P67A-UD3-B3 · 2x4GB.1600Mhz · GTX 760 AMP!.2GB · M4.128GB · WDCBlue.1TB · WDCGreen.3TB · WDCGreen.1.5TB · XFX.XXX.650W · HAF.912.Advance
ND7000 · 17-50 f/2.8 · 50 f/1.8

boogschd

Could that be the Singularity-guy's mod? :)

Omid

i emailed the dude who makes these LEDS, he said:  the led strips will get like 15-20°c them self 
Gonna ask for his opinion about placing them behind the motherboard now :)

Now where is Linus when i need him! :D

boogschd

Could that be the Singularity-guy's mod? :)

nah .. its from some guy in another forum

cant find the exact thread :/

i did find this though : http://www.overclock.net/t/1340464/build-log-the-dual-revisited-and-done-soul-been-used-for-next-build-lol-see-you-all-next-time/200_20#post_19844875

2500k,4.3GHZ · Hyper.212.+ · P67A-UD3-B3 · 2x4GB.1600Mhz · GTX 760 AMP!.2GB · M4.128GB · WDCBlue.1TB · WDCGreen.3TB · WDCGreen.1.5TB · XFX.XXX.650W · HAF.912.Advance
ND7000 · 17-50 f/2.8 · 50 f/1.8

Oh yeah isee :)
Ive found some other guy advising ppl on useing side emitting led strips, and gel/epoxy coated led strips - for make sure they dont fry anything.
he has an amazon and ebay and facebook - so ive send him a facebook message - hoping he will reply.

Still taking advices from you guys LTTforums <3 :)

been meaning to do this too, but I underestimated how little space there is under the motherboard. most led strips won't fit under there well

I'll probably look into the EL wire stuff when I do mine

Another method is putting acrylic or plexiglass behind the board with edges slightly extended large and then shine an led into the side to create the glow.

Like this:

wWD0J.jpg

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Thanks for you input, but its not an option :)
IP65 Led stips will do the job for me - if theres room enough under the board, gonna check that out in a few days when the case arrives.

I thought about doing this once. I looked it up and found that other people were doing it with no problem. Would look really cool.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I thought about doing this once. I looked it up and found that other people were doing it with no problem. Would look really cool.

Been searching deep for this - if you can hook me up with links of threats or pictures of done mods with this - i d be happy! :D

• 1 year later...

I know this is old thread, but I saw this and wanted to update it. 

I have done this same thing with waterproof side emitting leds. They dont generate heat and and are protected from the metal parts of the motherboard and plenty of room to spare.

Came out really nice. Pictures below are the motherboard before and after the UV additions.post-197203-0-99138800-1426268747_thumb.post-197203-0-98191200-1426269157_thumb.

post-197203-0-99138800-1426268747_thumb.

post-197203-0-98191200-1426269157_thumb.