Hot-swap in windows

Mr.Tech.Qc
Go to solution Solved by Blake,

when you have done the swap, open devmgmt.msc and right click on the top level icon and choose detect changes.

Hi,

I have a computer that runs WIN 7, i use it as a NAS, ive been able to set the bios so thati can remove a drive from my hot-swap bay with no prob, but when i put a new one in, windows does not see it. What is the solution? 

Thanks!

Hi,

I have a computer that runs WIN 7, i use it as a NAS, ive been able to set the bios so thati can remove a drive from my hot-swap bay with no prob, but when i put a new one in, windows does not see it. What is the solution? 

Thanks!

You will have to go to the start menu, right click computer, click manage, click disk management under storage and check to see if drive letters have been assigned-and add them if they haven't, if they aren't there, click device manager and then disk drives and check if its being recognised.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You will have to go to the start menu, right click computer, click manage, click disk management under storage and check to see if drive letters have been assigned-and add them if they haven't, if they aren't there, click device manager and then disk drives and check if its being recognised.

Yup. If it still isn't recognized, make sure that you have all the right motherboard drivers installed and the latest BIOS.

Sig under construction.

Finally, even if the drivge is diconnected, windows leaves the drive in the drive list, and no the new drive is not in the device manager or even the partition utility :/

Finally, even if the drivge is diconnected, windows leaves the drive in the drive list, and no the new drive is not in the device manager or even the partition utility :/

Windows seems to be having problems then, have you correctly configured the drives for quick removal?

PMSL

Windows seems to be having problems then, have you correctly configured the drives for quick removal?

Well, im running on a HP WX8600. ive set the drive optiosn to RAID + ACHI enabled, but thats the only option ive got that has a link with hot-swap, nothing else that i could see

Well, im running on a HP WX8600. ive set the drive optiosn to RAID + ACHI enabled, but thats the only option ive got that has a link with hot-swap, nothing else that i could see

As in windows itself, the steps are (I had to do this for my hotswap RAID 1+0 setup): Restart windows so that it detects the HDD, go back to device manager/disk drives and go to the first hotswap drive, right click then click properties, click policies then make sure that the 'enable wrtie caching on this device' box is unchecked, then click ok, repeat as neccessary. This allows you to have your HDD plug and play, much like a USB since you've got the BIOS options set.

PMSL

As in windows itself, the steps are (I had to do this for my hotswap RAID 1+0 setup): Restart windows so that it detects the HDD, go back to device manager/disk drives and go to the first hotswap drive, right click then click properties, click policies then make sure that the 'enable wrtie caching on this device' box is unchecked, then click ok, repeat as neccessary. This allows you to have your HDD plug and play, much like a USB since you've got the BIOS options set.

Ill try that!

Nope, uncheked it, and when i un plug it, it is still there :(

EDIT: Tried to write to the drive wehn   unplugged, its dissapeared from the list

Do the HDD show under the eject icon in the taskbar?

PMSL

EDIT: Tried to write to the drive wehn   unplugged, its dissapeared from the list

I did the process on another drive, but when i plus it, it does not get detected

Do the HDD show under the eject icon in the taskbar?

no it is not detected as a ''Usb drive''

I did the process on another drive, but when i plus it, it does not get detected

This is really wierd, if the computer was hotswapping properly you'd be able to click safely remove and put in another one. I'll keep looking for answers but I think its time for you to start googling.

PMSL

This is really wierd, if the computer was hotswapping properly you'd be able to click safely remove and put in another one. I'll keep looking for answers but I think its time for you to start googling.

yeah i cheked before posting, nothing corresponding with my problem in the google results

seems like the prob is from windows, not from the MB, my MB settings are right

yeah i cheked before posting, nothing corresponding with my problem in the google results

seems like the prob is from windows, not from the MB, my MB settings are right

Yeah, I was thinking that, on occasion my desktop (Win 7) needs a reboot so I can remove a USB and plug in something else.

PMSL

Yeah, I was thinking that, on occasion my desktop (Win 7) needs a reboot so I can remove a USB and plug in something else.

well, dammit, at least half of the prob is ok, the removal process, ill try to find for thr plugging part ^^

when you have done the swap, open devmgmt.msc and right click on the top level icon and choose detect changes.

OMFG GOD Thanks! :D