New Build - Overclock Issue

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdmvcf

^ ^ ^ The Build ^ ^ ^

v v v The Problem v v v

I got it all built, BIOS updated and Drivers updated. (Yes, official website.)

When I load into UEFI it shows in System Information that the ram is 1866. (Like it's suppose to be.)

When I try to boot I don't have a problem while all the BIOS is default.

When I try to Overclock starting with the standard 4.4 at v1.2, I boot up and I get "Overclocking Failed" I believe during Post.

I'm putting my finger on the RAM, I think that is the problem, but I thought I'd ask for a few others opinions first.

I found this possible fix online, but haven't got around to try it, about to go to bed.

http://sanuja.com/blog/how-to-fix-overclocking-failed-error

Also in my motherboard user guide I found CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10 (ver5.29), but the number on my ram is CMD16GX3M2A1866C10 (ver4.29).

So, what do you guys think?

Is that single letter and version the issue?

If so, then why does my motherboard still read it and boot just fine?

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wdmvcf

^ ^ ^ The Build ^ ^ ^

v v v The Problem v v v

I got it all built, BIOS updated and Drivers updated. (Yes, official website.)

When I load into UEFI it shows in System Information that the ram is 1866. (Like it's suppose to be.)

When I try to boot I don't have a problem while all the BIOS is default.

When I try to Overclock starting with the standard 4.4 at v1.2, I boot up and I get "Overclocking Failed" I believe during Post.

I'm putting my finger on the RAM, I think that is the problem, but I thought I'd ask for a few others opinions first.

I found this possible fix online, but haven't got around to try it, about to go to bed.

http://sanuja.com/blog/how-to-fix-overclocking-failed-error

Also in my motherboard user guide I found CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10 (ver5.29), but the number on my ram is CMD16GX3M2A1866C10 (ver4.29).

So, what do you guys think?

Is that single letter and version the issue?

If so, then why does my motherboard still read it and boot just fine?

It might be a problem, but DDR3 compatibility is generally really good.  Try running memtest86 on your memory, that should pull out whether there are really significant issues with the memory.  

Does that memory have an XMP profile?  If so, try that with the overclock.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

You probably need a higher vcore. I wast able to get a stable overclock at 4.4ghz at 1.2. i had to go a bit higher. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

As you increase your clock speed, you will likely have to raise your Vcore to supply your processor with enough power so hopefully as said higher vcore will help you.

It might be a problem, but DDR3 compatibility is generally really good.  Try running memtest86 on your memory, that should pull out whether there are really significant issues with the memory.  

Does that memory have an XMP profile?  If so, try that with the overclock.  

I believe it does have an XMP profile, and when I enable XMP, let it set itself up, I still get the error when trying to overclock.

What does this memtest do exactly? I know the RAM works, cause I can operate fine as long as there is no overclock.

What would I be looking for it to say? (I'll be doing research on the program after this posting.)

You got a bad OC chip?

This problem is kinda well known on ASUS motherboards, so I'll probably look at the CPU last as the problem.

You probably need a higher vcore. I wast able to get a stable overclock at 4.4ghz at 1.2. i had to go a bit higher. 

I don't believe this is a problem, because you can usually see Windows trying to load before a low voltage crash, and in this case I don't make it past Post.

As you increase your clock speed, you will likely have to raise your Vcore to supply your processor with enough power so hopefully as said higher vcore will help you.

I'll have time later today to try multiple options, this will be one of them.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

RAM is pretty good intuition. I had a similar problem with not getting RAM on the QVL for the Sabertooth I built out, although it never loaded properly to begin with. My problem was that the board refused to boot into the BIOS and the MemOK! light continuously lit up.

As others have said, try bumping core voltage up to ~1.25v to see if you can make it past the Overclock failed message, then deal with the possibility of the RAM being the issue. Although, I would fully expect it to trip the MemOK! if it wasn't going to work.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

RAM is pretty good intuition. I had a similar problem with not getting RAM on the QVL for the Sabertooth I built out, although it never loaded properly to begin with. My problem was that the board refused to boot into the BIOS and the MemOK! light continuously lit up.

As others have said, try bumping core voltage up to ~1.25v to see if you can make it past the Overclock failed message, then deal with the possibility of the RAM being the issue. Although, I would fully expect it to trip the MemOK! if it wasn't going to work.

Ah, yes I forgot to mention that it's not tripping the MemOK switch, which is another reason I'm confused.

Quick question, at what state am I suppose to hold and wait when using the MemOK switch?

During boot up before turning on?

After it's already on and in windows?

While it's in BIOS?

I will try bumping the voltage later, but having too low of voltage will make it not get past Post?

Even when I tried the Auto Tuning Overclock or whatever it's called with Asus's built in I would get the same error message btw.

So, that is another reason I didn't think it was the voltage, cause I figured the auto tuner would add too much voltage anyway.

I believe it does have an XMP profile, and when I enable XMP, let it set itself up, I still get the error when trying to overclock.

What does this memtest do exactly? I know the RAM works, cause I can operate fine as long as there is no overclock.

What would I be looking for it to say? (I'll be doing research on the program after this posting.)

memtest looks for bad memory sectors.  It will go through your memory sequentially and test each block several times.  If your ram is bad, it will come up with error messages (in red, you can't miss them), which means you have at least one bad memory stick.  If it doesn't come up with errors after at least one pass, it means your ram is probably not the problem.  It is possible for bad memory to not trigger memtest errors, but that can be really difficult to diagnose.  

What are the specific values that you have changed in your bios to achieve an overclock?  Knowing that might help us help you.

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

memtest looks for bad memory sectors.  It will go through your memory sequentially and test each block several times.  If your ram is bad, it will come up with error messages (in red, you can't miss them), which means you have at least one bad memory stick.  If it doesn't come up with errors after at least one pass, it means your ram is probably not the problem.  It is possible for bad memory to not trigger memtest errors, but that can be really difficult to diagnose.  

What are the specific values that you have changed in your bios to achieve an overclock?  Knowing that might help us help you.

I have the ASUS UEFI of course, and I changed the following...

Sync all cores

44 (to all cores)

Manual voltage

v1.2

v v v v v Things I have tried v v v v v

I've tried this same setup with XMP, no dice

umm... dang there is something else I tried but can't remember till I see it... (sorry, i know this is no help)

Quick question, at what state am I suppose to hold and wait when using the MemOK switch?

When the LED above it is fully lit up. The only times I've ever had mine go off were for incorrect/incompatible speeds (Z77 @2400MHz), RAM that wasn't on the QVL, or RAM that was bad.

If the MemOK light gets tripped you're not likely to be in the BIOS or POST, it'll hang somewhere in the pre-boot process and spit out a Q-Code with the light fully on.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Sync all cores

44 (to all cores)

Manual voltage

v1.2

umm... dang there is something else I tried but can't remember till I see it... (sorry, i know this is no help)

set the manual voltage above 1.2v. Try 1.25, then 1.275.

set the manual voltage above 1.2v. Try 1.25, then 1.275.

I will, I have tried using the Asus Auto Tuning to overclock and I get the same problem.

I figured the Asus Auto Tuning was giving it enough voltage to rule out this problem, but maybe it wasn't. idk, testing will be done later.

Sync all cores

44 (to all cores)

Manual voltage

v1.2

Have you checked that the voltage on your memory is the correct value for that sku?  A quick search of the manufacturer's website says your sku should be 1.5V.  This should be the default memory voltage, so it shouldn't affect your overclock, but you might as well set it at 1.5V in the bios.  

I will, I have tried using the Asus Auto Tuning to overclock and I get the same problem.

I figured the Asus Auto Tuning was giving it enough voltage to rule out this problem, but maybe it wasn't. idk, testing will be done later.

ASUS auto tuning will apply a voltage that will work for the vast majority of cpus at that particular multiplier.  But "vast majority" is not the same as "all".  It is possible that you lost the silicon lottery.  

Before you do anything else, try clearing the cmos (there should be a button on your board somewhere) and setting everything up again.  Sometimes something can get changed by accident (I think this is unlikely, but it's an easy check).  

I think the next thing to do is to run a pass of memtest86 (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso I find that a bootable USB is the easiest) at 1.5V and 1866 MHz.  If you can't get into memtest with those settings, try 1500 MHz 1600 MHz {derp}.  

If you haven't already set vrin to 1.9 or 2v and maybe try to dowclock memory to 1600 at 11-11-11-30@ 1.5v Just to rule out memory issues while overclocking. Next set bclk to 100mhz. Then bring your multiplier back to where it will boot at 1.2v from there just increase vcore in increments of .025 and increase multiplier until you can boot and repeat.

such as: start with a vcore of 1.2v then---- increase clock until you can't boot >> increase vcore by .025v >> and repeat stressing and checking temps until you reach your thermal or voltage threshold. 

I usually don't try to bring memory to or past it's rated settings until I establish a stable cpu overclock.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker